Chapter Fifteen~*

1- Jamie

I feel like I'm being suffocated. Not literally, though it's close enough. When I first moved up to the thirteenth floor, it was mostly just me up here. Then, Darcy decided to move up here. Now, all three of Slender's proxies have chosen rooms up here with me. I know it's to keep a closer eye on me for Slender. I'm sure if Slender didn't have to keep an eye on Sally he would have moved up here too. Sure, the proxies are almost always gone on missions for Slender but when they are here, they are constantly walking into my room. I never had a need to lock my bedroom door but after Hoodie walked in on me changing, I had to change that.

I hate it. Everything Slender does to prevent me from doing something drastic only makes me want to act more and more drastic. More and more often I find my eyes drifting to the closet where I had hid the mask and cloak. It would be easy to sneak out. Darcy sleeps early and the proxies are rarely in their room. I swear, it seems like they only come up to this floor to check on me.

Being on house arrest is taking its toll on my mind. As the hours drag on, I often lose myself in memories to keep myself entertained. However, I've begun to notice that there are several things I'm . . . forgetting. I can't remember the color of my carpet or the smell of my mom's perfume. There have even been times where I have forgotten my mom's face and the way her voice sounded. I'm scared that one day I'll wake up and won't even remember her.

No, I won't let that happen. My mind made, I throw open the closet doors and grab the cloak and mask. After opening the door to make sure no one is out on my floor, I quickly put them on and leave. By the time I get to the ninth floor, I know I'm safe. Anyone else who sees me will assume I'm just some CP they never saw before or some new addition.

When I step outside, I'm shocked by how quickly the weather has changed. It had been chilly on Halloween but now it was downright freezing. My every breath comes out in steamy puffs and I can see the frost gathering on the grass and trees. Unlike any normal forest, most of the trees still held their leaves. I rush out under the trees and follow the familiar pull of the Gateway Trees, not once pausing to contemplate whether this was a good idea or not.

Once I'm a far enough distance away from the mansion, I slow my reckless pace. I take in deep breathes to calm my racing heart and thoughts. The cold air stings my lungs, making breathing that much harder. My fingers felt numb but my face felt hot and sweaty thanks to the mask throwing my hot breathes back at me. Talk about uncomfortable.

I keep walking, though much slower than before. Since I'm going slower, I'm able to pay more attention to my surroundings and, after a while, I begin to feel like I'm being watched. At first, I just chalk it up to paranoia. This is only my second time out of the mansion in weeks and the last time that happened, that girl, Karlyah, attacked her. Still, I shake my head and ignore the feeling; no one had seen me leave, I made sure of that. I keep walking, slowly but steadily getting closer and closer to the Gateway Trees.

When I finally make it to the trees, I stop for a second to look around. While it's dangerous to just wander the forest, it's more dangerous to linger by the trees. In the forest, they'd either have to track you down or happen upon you if someone wanted to hurt you but the Gateway Trees are a place that everyone knows about. Anyone could be here, hiding in the shadows and waiting. I look around me carefully, then turn and stop at the sight of a very familiar girl.

Karlyah grins, showing off her messy teeth and laughing a bit before she says, "Well hey there, girly. Been waitin' for you. Don't think you can outwit everyone in that place, because I can smell you bein' sneaky from a mile away, doll."

My hands tighten into fists. No, not her, not now. "What do you want from me? I haven't done anything to you."

She makes a fake pouty expression, over dramatising it. "Aww, is little Jamie getting mad? Poor thing . . ." Suddenly her pouty expression drops and she breaks into a fit of laughter, staring at me. "I don't want anything from you, you've got nothing I could possibly want."