Chapter Twenty Eight~*

1- Jamie

The door is already cracked by the time we get up the stairs and to his room. I don't even hesitate to rush in and take a look at everyone gathered. Karlyah leaned on the bed, a wicked smile crossing her lips at the sight of me. However, there was something off about it. Her eyes gave away the truth. She didn't look menacing or tricky, like usually. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she looks anxious. A small movement catches my attention and I look to see Jeff, sitting slumped in the chair Slender always seems to have in his room for some reason. Slender has his back to us, apparently studying the wall for some reason.

After the man and woman step in behind me, I close the door and lean against it. I know the room is typically guarded with magic so no one can hear in, but it would be easy for someone to edge the door open just enough for the spell to be compromised. With my body on the door, that means no one can open it without me knowing of their attempt.

The man gets straight to the point. "We would like to discuss-"

"We know." Slender cut him off. "Karlyah has already informed me of the entire situation. We can figure out details, but I have already made up my mind."

Slender doesn't continue, not even offering his decision yet. The man looks a bit puzzled, then frustrated. "Well? Are we granted our promised sanctuary or will you be just like that many mouthed villain?"

"Sanctuary was offered to you the moment you walked through the gate with Karlyah. I have known her for a long time and have come to trust her opinion, as well as the circumstances in which you were brought here."

A small smile breaks out on the woman's face and she wipes at a tear. Emotion thickened her accent as she said, "Thank you very much. We really appreciate it."

The man inclines his head a bit. "Then I will do my best to provide whatever information I can on the Falin boy."

I notice very discreetly how everyone perks at his words. Slender turns towards us finally and nods, straightening just a little. Slowly, his mind opens to us and I'm immediately overwhelmed by the static. It feels like he's trying to overtake my mind. Seeing everyone else simultaneously flinch, I can tell it isn't just me being greatly affected. The static retreats quickly, but continues to hum in the background. Slender is unnerved by something.

1- Slender

The moment I lower the barrier on my mental connections, everyone in the room flinches exactly at the same time. I quickly reign in the static, feeling the bitter taste of emotions something like me should never experience: regret, shame, guilt. It is rare that I lack control over myself, and it is something I am hesitant to admit, especially out loud. I am a being of great, unimaginable powers. If others thought I was weaknesses to exploit, they would. The only reason I have yet to be challenged is because of the unmentioned fear they all have that they would lose to me.

I have worked hard to keep that view unchanged. Any hint of bravery or rebellion in the mansion or among the others is squashed before it can even become a problem for me. I have made it so that the other beings have few choices. They could either take the sanctuary and freedom of my mansion, or become a slave to beings more powerful than them. A few chose Zalgo and many die soon after joining him. No one is allowed to choose the other being. If they try to, I kill them off before it can find them. No body is too unpredictable. We do not allow such risks.

As I regain control over my own powers, they all straighten. I notice the two new ones rub their temples and share a look. Thoughts flash through their heads, brief images and words that are jumbled messes. It would not have been so bad to shift through their rapid thoughts, but there is also three other people in the room with minds that seem to shuffle through their own thoughts just as quickly.