Chapter Nineteen~*

1- Jamie

A week later and Slender is still angry at us, especially Karlyah for leaving the mansion with me and getting captured by Jane. Karlyah just shrugged it off and went upstairs to nurse her wounds with a bottle. I was forced into the infirmary by Slender to make sure I hadn't messed up my shoulder too badly and to tell him what happened. I told him everything but one detail of who was the one we'd ambushed and left in the room in our places. I'm not sure if he saw it in my mind or not but he didn't say anything or ask questions.

Not long after Slender had finished checking my shoulder and putting it in a sling, the door slammed open and Gold came rushing in. I felt relieved at first; finally, a friendly face. But Gold's eyes blazed and when he got to me, he just stood there and stared. I couldn't hold his gaze then and even now, a week later, I still can't. He didn't say much to me, not really, and when he was done he left to go be with Lavender. Not that I cared.

I still have the sling on when I leave the room, simply to remind myself not to overexert my still tender arm. Normally it would have taken two or so months for a dislocated shoulder to heal completely without fear or it being dislocated again but, thanks to the amazing medicine at the Slender mansion, it's healing extremely fast. Although the trip was dangerous and I did get kidnapped, the whole ordeal made me feel more confident and more like myself again. I had spent the past couple of months moping around the mansion but I'm finally beginning to feel like myself.

Downstairs in the kitchen, I attempt to make a bowl of cereals with one hand. The others hardly ever eat cereal so there's usually an abundance around. I have no trouble pouring the food into a bowl and grabbing the milk but I can't really pick up the milk. My hand shakes, making me worry I'll drop or spill it. I'm just about to put it down when a rough, calloused hand covers mine and steadies it, helping me tilt just the right amount of milk in.

I turn, eyes wide, and look at Jeff. He looks so familiar yet he didn't seem like the man I once knew. There was a seriousness in his eyes that wasn't there before, a ragged look to his overall appearance. Although his cheeks had a smile cut deep into them, his face didn't look happy at all or really in the smiling mood. The more I look at him, the more I realize that I don't know this Jeff, not really.

"Jeff," I whisper.

His hand comes up to my face, his fingers trailing along my lips carefully. I don't move or say anything, letting his fingers wander along my face. He traces my mouth, then my nose, and his hand lingers around my cheekbones and jawline. I feel such a strong urge to close my eyes and lean into his touch but I restrain myself.

"Jeff," I say again, something odd happening to my voice.

He reluctantly pulls away from me. "I just want to check up on you, Jamie. Slender told me about what happened and I rushed home as soon as I could. I'm sorry I took so long."

My mind reels. Jeff apologizes to no one. Getting an apology from him is rare and always sincere. I can't find anything to say to him after that.

His voice goes oddly quiet when he asks, "Is your arm hurting you? I know you've probably grown used to Slender or Gold taking care of you but, if you'll allow me, I'd . . ." I can see him struggling to continue. "I'd love to help you."

"No," I say quickly. Then, I shake my head. "I mean, no, I'm not used to Gold or Slender taking care of me. I have no problem with you helping me."

It feels weird to be saying that after so many months of hating everything about him. But those thoughts and feelings I had when he was gone suddenly feel foreign now that he's in front of me. All I can think of is how desperately I want to have some company that isn't Darcy or one of the proxies.