Chapter Two~*

1- Jeff

I'm taking off my white hoodie when there's a soft knock on my bedroom door. I ignore it, knowing that anyone important would have just walked in. There's another knock, a little louder this time. Again, I ignore it, taking off my slacks and heading to the bathroom. Not having to share the room with a girl was liberating. Jamie always got nervous and embarrassed anytime I started undressing. But, damn do I miss her.

"Jeff?" A soft voice calls from the other side of my bedroom door; a voice I recognize immediately.

I jump to the door and throw it open, forgetting I was in nothing but boxers, though, the cold draft from the hallway and Jamie's face turning bright red instantly reminds me of my lack of clothes. For a few seconds, I do nothing but stand there awkwardly and look down at her. Her face is now a deep shade of red and she looks away from me. Finally, I get enough sense in me to to hide myself partially behind the door.

"Uh, hey," I say dumbly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think I was interrupting something. I'll just go." She turns to leave but I reach over and grab her arm, stopping her.

"I'm not doing anything. I was just going to take a shower."

"Well, I'll leave you to your shower." She says quickly, trying to shake me off.

"Jamie," I say sternly.

She sighs, pushes my hand off her shoulder and walks into the bedroom. I grab my slacks from the floor and put them back on. I can always take a shower later. Jamie stops in the middle of the bedroom and stops, looking awkwardly around, as if she were in a stranger's room and not the room she used to spend every night in with me. The sight makes my heart ache for her. She brushes a strand of hair behind her ear and looks over at me. I walk over to the bed and sit, patting the spot beside me. Jamie ignores it.

"Okay, I'm just going to cut to the chase here. No fooling around and no jokes." She pauses to take a deep breath. Gently, she places a hand on her stomach, which is starting to show through even her jackets. "I am going to have this baby, even if their father isn't around." I open my mouth to protest but she holds up a hand. "I'm going to raise this baby no matter what and I want you to understand that. But, I'm not bringing my child to live here. I refuse to do that to them."

"What?" I shout, standing up. "Are you telling me you're leaving and never coming back? That I can't see you or the baby at all?" Anger boils in me and I clench my fists.

"I'm not saying that. You can visit all you want, after I have the baby. But I'm not going to raise my child like this! They are not going to grow up around crazy murderers. One of the others could accidently hurt the baby. I'm going to protect my child from this world."

"Protect them? Jamie, do you not realize that this world you're talking about includes you? As much as you want to deny it, Jamie, you're one of us. Sorry to say it but you're a crazy murderer too!" I scream, standing up. "You can't protect them from 'this world' if you're apart of it."

"I know that!" She screams right back. "But I'm actually going to make the effort to change and stop doing things like that for my child's sake," She stops to take a breath. "I'm trying for this baby, Jeff. I'm terrified and I know I'm going to mess this up, but at least I'm trying. What are you doing?"

I stop, stunned by her words. It takes me a few seconds to think of my response. "I will help you, if you let me."

Her eyes narrow in fury. "Let you? What do you mean, let you? I am letting you help me! I'm here, aren't I? I'm standing in this damn bedroom with you, trying to make this whole messed up relationship work! And what have you done?" She pauses, her face twisted with rage and pain. "All you've done is say you'll help and make things harder."