Chapter Twenty Seven~*

1- Jamie

There is a moment of silence, a moment where everything feels frozen in place. It felt like that second when a bomb has been dropped and it's seconds away from hitting the ground, where it would explode and leave unimagined damage in its wake.

Slender is the first to react. Just as the brief moment of silence from the spell Karlyah's words put everyone in was ending, he lungs forward and grabs Karlyah. Before anyone could move towards them to ask questions, he's hauling her up the stairs after him since his teleportation doesn't work as well when eyes are on him.

I instantly move to follow him, but a lulling, heavily accented voice calls out from the doors and effectively stops me in my tracks. "Where is our sanctuary you promised, woman? We need help and you promised! You can't just run."

My mind is still reeling from what's happening and I couldn't properly process the scene in front of me when I turn around. The man who walked in with Karlyah was now fully supporting the woman and Gold stands by him, his eyes dimly flickering to show his distress. Madison looks incredibly uncomfortable and stands close to Jeff, who seems to have frozen in place. There was something about the look on his face that made everything in me quiet down a bit.

In all the time I've known Jeff, I have seen him make various expressions. I have grown used to them and found Jeff was an open book and easy for most anyone to read. However, the expression he currently bore is one I don't recognize at all and that worries me.

I want to go to Jeff to make sure he was alright, but there were other things that needed to take priority over him. Brushing my hair behind my ears, I hurry over to Gold and the mystery man. His face stays stony as I go up to him, his eyes practically driving holes into me.

"What's wrong?" I ask, trying to get an assessment on the woman who was still slumped over.

"Do you have anywhere I can lay her down and treat her?" The question is simple but his tone is biting and cuts sharply at me. The way he speaks and looks at us makes me feel like he was accusing us all for whatever happened to him.

"Right this way," I respond curtly, turning stiffly and leading him to the infirmary.

There's a shuffling behind me and soon his footsteps follow quickly after me. I throw open the doors and turn as soon as I step in, not really trusting him enough to keep my back to him for very long. He doesn't even look at me or around at the room as he comes in and sets the woman down on the bed. Dark, curly hair spills onto the bed around her and I'm finally able to see her face.

"Your sister?" I ask quietly. The resemblance between the two is striking.

"Where are your medicines? Any needles and thread?" He questions, ignoring me.

I notice a large black stain on the woman's clothes, which I quickly realize is blood and she's been severely wounded. As much as I didn't care for the guy, it seems like he was promised some kind of sanctuary in the mansion and it is now my job to ensure that happens. Turning from him, I go into the back room and pull out an emergency kit before hurrying over to him.

"I can stitch up the wound," I say without thinking, already setting the kit down and moving to push the woman's clothes up so I could have easy access.

Before I could even touch her, the man grabs my arm roughly and stops me in my tracks. His grip was tight and would have hurt had I been a normal human. I look up at him, trying to keep a calm composure.

"Are you going to let me do my job?" I say, a little harsher than was necessary.

"I will stitch her. You do not touch her." He lets go of me and moves his body between me and his sister, effectively stopping me from providing any more help. "If you would like to do your job, you could grab some water and cloth."