Chapter 24

Chanyeol oppa is my everything. I thought as I sat quietly in the car, driving passed the massive Changi Airport.

My company had given me permission to visit Singapore for my birthday. "I want you to take a good break and enjoy a day or two with your family before your debut," said Teacher Lee.

So here I was, away from the harsh winter in Korea but also away from my favourite boyfriend. Nonetheless, I was excited to see my family after being apart for so long. We had agreed to meet at my favourite restaurant, Dancing Crab that served my favourite food - Chilli Crab. One thing I missed most about Singapore when I was away was definitely the food. Laksa, fried carrot cake and many more. I love Korean cuisine, I really do. Just that sometimes, it makes me feel sick because I had so much of the same thing everyday.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" My loveliest family shouted when I entered the restaurant. It was late at night, around 10pm when I finally reached the other side of Singapore. The entire restaurant was empty and my father had it extended its services for my birthday.

I stood there and I cried. No matter what happened, your family will always be with you. That was what everybody told me since the day I began living independently in Korea. Family, warmth. The familiar feeling came rushing back to me.

"Thank you so much guys," I said in between sobs.

"Aw, don't say that. We love you very much. Now come sit down. You must be hungry." My mother said as she directed me towards the table.

"I am really famished. I haven't ate a lot for the entire month because I am on a diet."

"Then, is it okay for you to eat a feast now?"

"Yes, my company said it was okay since it is my birthday."

"Great! Let's dig in!" My father cheered.

I forgot all about my debut and the stress from dieting as I devoured the feast in front of me. My parents mentioned nothing about my debut even though they knew about it. They were probably trying to cheer me up.

When I am done with my food, I excused myself to go the washroom to clean up. When I got back to the table, Chanyeol oppa was sitting right where I was 5 minutes ago.

"Oh, Oppa! What are you doing here?"

He turned around and said, "surprise! You were surprised, weren't you?" He gave a cheeky smile.

"Ya, you don't know how much effort this young man took to contact me and organised this." My dad added.

"Awwww, Oppa you are the best. Daddy too," I added when my father gave me the "look".

"Cha, where shall we go next, my future son-in-law?"

"How about... the hotel at Keppel Bay?" He said.

"Omo, please tell me you didn't already make a reservation."

"Indeed, I already did. Let's go, shall we?" He stood up and went over to the counter to settle the bill.

I chased after him, "Oppa, you don't have to pay for this. I will!"

"Do you have money? I am the one who's working. I will feed you. For now. Treat me once you get your paycheck." He said.

"Okay..." I replied reluctantly.

My father drove us to Keppel Bay and dropped us there before he left. Chanyeol oppa took out a blindfold and asked me to turn around.

"I will put this on for you," he said.

"Oppa, you know I hate surprises right." I said as I tried to resist his blindfold.

"Nope, I know you love them. Now, stop complaining and follow me." He placed his long fingers on my shoulder and pushed me along.

I could feel the air conditioning blasting against my skin as we stepped into one of the hotel. There were a few steps, followed by a lift. It took almost 5 minutes - I think, given my lacking sense of sight - before we reached.

"Oppa, did you book a suite?"

Silence.

"Oppa?"

"Just wait and see."

He took out the key and I heard the door unlocking. He pushed me forward into the room.

"Now, take out your blindfold."

I obeyed silently. Reaching up to untie the knot behind my head.

"SURPRISED!" Screamed about 50 people insife the room the moment I opened my eyes. I was blinded for a moment by the sudden bright light in the room. I couldn't tell who were the people and who the voices belonged to. The blindness slowly subsided and I regained my sight.

My childhood best friend, Clara stood in front of me, holding a giant cake and said, "Happy birthday, Jimin!" Just then the clock striked twelve and all my local and Korean friends began singing birthday song to me. I could see a few EXO members mingling around but I did not spot Sehun anywhere. Some of my SM seniors were there too like Taeyeon unnie and Soo Jung.

"Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! EXO oppa did you guys flew down for my birthday?"

"I am expecting some tears!" Jongdae oppa shouted, making the entire room burst into laughter.

"Oppa, how? I am too shock to cry. But I am really really touched. Thank you for the sweet surprise!"

I learnt from Junmyeon oppa that Chanyeol oppa spent almost a week last month planning for this. From booking the hotel and flights for my close friends who were free. He also told me that Sehun couldn't make it because he was down with fever. I was, surprisingly, disappointed from his absence.

Ding, ding, ding. Chanyeol oppa stood at the balcony on the second level with a wine glass on one hand and a metal spoon on the other. "Attention, attention everyone. Because today is our beloved Jiminie's birthday, EXO has come prepared to perform our songs. Everyone please gather towards the window and leave a space for us!" 

He did a leap from the balcony as my heart screamed for a second, worrying about his safety. Luckily, it wasn't too high and his long body had allowed him to land safely.

The song "Overdose" began playing in the background as EXO started dancing. However, the music stopped at the chorus. Jongdae sang a live and he changed the lyrics for my birthday.

Someone call the doctor, please.
I am going crazy here.
Because today is a special day.
It is our Jimin's birthday, today.
Everyone please wish her happy birthday.
Oh, she wants me.
Oh, she stop me.
Oh, she loves me.
Exo is overdosed for her.

I felt so touched and honored. I could only stand there and smile like an idiot. The people that I have known since I was a little girl had all grew up and become successful. Sometimes, the idea still feel surreal because no matter who they had become, they are still the same people that I had known for years.

"Jimin, why don't you show us your moves too?" Jung commented.

"Dance, dance, dance," echoed the crowd in the room. I stood there, suddenly turning red and feeling hot. SNSD's "I got a boy" began playing in the background. My body, as though having a mind of its own, began moving with the beat. I had practiced this dance routine several times when the song first came out last year. But I am surprised that my muscle still remembered all the steps exactly. I began swaying with the music and walking towards Chanyeol oppa, and I tipped my toes and kissed him.

The crowd went wild, screaming and cheering. Chanyeol oppa looked shocked but he smiled and laughed along, with his long fingers stroking my cheeks on both sides.