Chapter 42

Chantelle's POV

It's been two days since dinner with Lucas. As much as I want to be all over him, I also know that this is a marathon and not a sprint. For the third time today, I pick up my phone, start to text him then immediately erase everything. I drop my phone back onto my desk and turn my attention to the story I've been trying to edit for a couple hours now.

Before I know it, it's 5pm and most of the office begins to head out. I begin to pack up my stuff when my phone buzzes. I reach for it quickly, hoping it's Lucas

Hey Chantelle he writes. What are you doing tonight?

I smile wildly. It's a Monday night so I have absolutely nothing going on but I'm curious as to what he has in mind.

Hey! I write back. Nothing. Did you have something in mind?

I just won the Hamilton tickets through the digital lottery for tonight. I'm sorry it's super late notice but I would love to take you

My heart flutters a bit. Just to see how much our relationship has progressed since his one therapy session makes me hopeful for the future. In fact, it makes me think that maybe I should be going to therapy too.

What time should I be ready by? I write back.

Can you be ready by 7? 😅

I glance at the clock and it's now 5:15. By the time I get home, it will be 5:45, giving me about an hour to get ready. It's gonna be a time crunch but I think I can do it.

I'll be ready. I send the text then scramble out of the office. It's going to be a good night.

An hour later, I look myself up and down in the mirror, proud of what I've accomplished in such a short time. I am in a simple black cocktail dress with some black red bottoms to match. I have a small clutch that goes with the shoes and a very natural makeup look. I didn't have time to do much with my hair besides a sleek bun. As I'm straightening out my dress, the doorbell rings. He's here.

I open my front door to see Lucas. He's in black dress pants and dark burgundy dress shirt. His jet black hair has begun to grow back, making the blonde hair appear darker. It reminds me of the old him. And I love it so much.

"Hey," he says, smiling at me. He looks me up and down before his eyes meet mine. "You look gorgeous."

"Thanks," I say. "You look really good too. Thank you for the invite."

"Of course," Lucas says. We linger for a bit before Lucas speaks again. "Well, we should probably get going. There's an Uber waiting for us downstairs."

"Okay." I pull my front door closed behind me before walking out with Lucas.

As we're walking side by side down the hallway of my apartment, I so badly want to hold his hand but I know we are taking things one step at a time. Instead, I find contentment in the fact that I'm about to see my favorite Broadway show with Lucas. And I can't wait.