Chapter 6

Lucas' POV

The week cannot go by fast enough. By the time Friday evening comes around, I'm more than ready for my date with Chantelle.

After doing the usual paperwork at the station, I drop into my car and speed over to Whole Foods. I end up buying the largest bouquet of flowers I can find. The bunch is colorful and I hope Chantelle will like it.

I pull into my parking spot and almost trip as I rush to my apartment. As soon as I get inside, I set the flowers down on my dining table then hop in the shower. My shower is quick and when I get out, I glance at the clock. 6:21. I'm supposed to pick Chantelle up at 7pm.

I quickly dry off then lotion my entire body. If there's one thing I hate, it's dry skin. I spray cologne across my bare chest then glance at myself in the mirror. My skin has tanned due to the summer weather. I'm also close to needing a haircut. My hair isn't long but I like keeping it buzzed short. I flex my muscles quickly then laugh at myself for being so vain.

Wrapping my towel around my waist, I walk into my closet. I pick out a loose fitting blue shirt and khakis. I use a few minutes to brush my hair and when I look at the clock again, it's 6:52. I quickly put on a pair of shoes, grab the flowers, then lock my apartment behind me. A minute later, I am at Chantelle's. She lives 12 doors down from me.

I knock softly and a seconds later, she opens the door. I smile widely as I look her up and down. She's in a flowy, pale pink dress that hits her knees. She's also wearing a modest diamond necklace and matching earrings. Her dark skin is flawless.

"Hi Lucas," she says.

"Hey Chantelle," I hug her for the first time. It feels so natural as our bodies press together softly. "I brought you these." I hand her the flowers and she smiles.

"Wow Lucas. You didn't have to do this. And they're beautiful. Do you want to come inside for a sec while I put these in water?"

"Sure." I step inside her apartment and it's pretty neat.

The layout is a lot like mine with the living room to the left and the kitchen on the right. All the furniture in her living room is a dark, leather brown. She has a large, comfy looking couch, across from a plasma tv. There's a bookshelf built into one of the walls and a coffee table. I glance in her kitchen to see brand new appliances and marble counter tops, much like mine.

"Okay." Chantelle sets a vase full of water on her countertop and puts the flowers in it. "You ready?"

I smile. "I've been ready since Sunday."

We get to the restaurant, located in downtown Seattle, in just 15 minutes.

"Table for two?" a short, Spanish women asks.

"Yes," I respond. I motion for Chantelle to go first as we follow the lady a table on the opposite side of the restaurant. We get our menus and the hostess takes off.

"I have to admit," Chantelle says, opening her menu. "I eat like crazy. I'm not one of those girls that goes for a salad or the low calorie meal. My college roommate used to say I have to appetite of a teenage boy."

I laugh. "That's awesome. I love a girl with a strong appetite. And this place has the best burritos, enchiladas, tamales." I pause. "Actually, everything is good here. And everything is served with rice and beans."

Chantelle's eyes light up. "I absolutely love Mexican beans."

A waitress comes up, serves us chips and salsa then takes our drink orders. We both go for water.

"You know what you're going to get?" Chantelle asks. I haven't opened my menu.

"Yeah," I nod. "Chile verde chicken enchiladas. They're delicious."