Chapter 23

5/17/2020 Author's Note: It has been over 2 years since I last updated. Big. Yikes. Now that we're in a pandemic, my goal is to finish this story as well as Homeless. If anyone has stuck around, thanks and my apologies! Nursing school kicked my butt, ahaha. Enjoy the update!

Chantelle's POV

I don't know what to think. As I lie in bed with my eyes open, I have a million thoughts going through my mind.

As much as I love and care about Lucas, the stress of the situation has really caused me to rethink everything. I don't know if I could enter a long term relationship with someone who has done the things that Lucas has. Granted, I know in my heart that he isn't a bad man. It's just too much to handle.

My eyelids start to feel heavy as sleep overwhelms me. Before I know it, I'm drifting off.

I wake up to my phone ringing off the hook. My alarm clock reads 9:30am. I was supposed to be in a work meeting 30 minutes ago. I let my phone go to voicemail.

As I slowly drag myself out of bed, I can't help but shake my head at myself. This isn't me. I'm usually on top of everything and in control of everything. These last few weeks have really taken a toll on me and I can see myself changing into someone I'm not.

I look at myself in my bathroom mirror and feel a deeper sadness start to set in. My face has thinned out and I'm starting to see a jawbone that wasn't there before. The bags under my eyes are darker and the twinkle in my eye is no longer there.

I shake my head as I realize that this is not who I want to be. I don't want to be that girl that lets the actions of others dictate how I live my life.

The warm water feels refreshing as it hits my face. I scrub away as hard as I can, a small fire within me beginning to burn. Today's the day I go back to being the strong, confident woman I have always been.

20 minutes later, I am walking out of my house and headed to work. I need a fresh start. One that doesn't involve the drama I've been dealing with. But that also means one that doesn't involve Lucas. I try to push the thought out of my head as I jump on the freeway, making my way towards the Cosmopolitan building in downtown Seattle.

"Oh my god Chantelle. You're... you're here."

"Good to see you too Graciela," I say, walking past my intern's desk and heading towards my office. I have to fight the urge to roll my eyes. Ever since I walked in the main doors this morning, all I've gotten is poorly hidden stares and jaws that hit the floor. I know I no longer look like myself but the least my coworkers could do is be less obvious.

I place my work bag on my desk and look around my office. I haven't been into work since Luke's trial started over a week ago. While I technically should have been working at home, I've missed two deadlines and an important meeting that I promised to attend this morning. I know I'll be hearing from my boss soon.

As soon as I sit down in my desk chair, my desk phone rings.

"Hello?" I answer nervously, knowing it's my boss.

"You're the talk of the town Chantelle." Sandra's voice comes through my phone. "Welcome back."

"Thanks," I say nervously. I'm apprehensive, knowing that I'm going to have to answer for my one week absence.

"Can you please make your way to my office?" Sandra asks.

"Yeah," I nod, knowing this was coming. "I'll be there shortly."

I hang up then head up to Sandra's office.

"Oh Chantelle!" Sandra greets me with a hug as soon as I walk in the door. "I know this is a crappy question to ask but how have you been holding up?"