Chapter 31

Chantelle's POV

I stay seated on the bench as Lucas walks away. I feel a bit dumbfounded.

I don't know what I was expecting. After 6 months of having absolutely no contact with Lucas, I definitely was not expecting to run into him today of all days. I didn't even know what I was going to say to him. But the truth came out. And I'm somewhat content with how things went. Especially given the circumstances.

As I sit on the bench and watch the crowd ebb and flow, I replay the whole encounter in my head over and over.

I was really taken aback by his new look. The blonde hair suits him but I miss his jet black hair. He looks so different. He's still sexy as ever but in a different way.

I also was a bit shocked by the tattoo. As far as I know, that's the first tattoo he's gotten. And it's huge. It looks really good on him but it's just another piece of evidence as to how much time and distance has grown between us. I didn't even know he was into tattoos.

I sigh then pull out my phone to shoot Graciela a text.

Just saw Lucas for the first time in 6 months. It was the most awkward but honest conversation we've had

Graciela texts me back almost immediately.

Oh my gawd. I'm out now but I'll call you in like an hour. This is so crazy!!

Crazy indeed. I say goodbye to Gracie then grab my bags and start my walk to my car. I'm still in shock.

Once I get home, I unpack all my groceries then put on a movie. It's a cheesy chick flick but that's just what I need right now. Anything to keep my mind off Lucas.

He asked for time and that's what I'll give him. It's just taking everything in my power to not call him.

My phone rings and it's Graciela.

"Hey," I say, pausing the movie.

"What. Happened."

I sigh as I get into it. "I was at the farmers market, waiting in line to get some bread. I turn around and literally he's right behind me. Like, out of nowhere. I was absolutely speechless."

Graciela laughs. "You of all people? Speechless? That's gold."

"Oh, I know," I laugh a bit too. "We got out of line and sat down to talk. It went... okay. But he just seemed very... angry. Like, he didn't lash out or anything but I could tell he was pretty upset."

"I mean... you left him in the middle of a traumatic event. Wouldn't you be a bit angry too? If the roles were reversed?"

"No you're right. You're absolutely right. I don't know why I thought he'd be waiting for me with open arms or something. He said he needed time to think. To see if he'd be willing to move forward as friends."

"As friends," Graciela repeats. "How do you feel about that?"

"I..." my eyes water a bit. "I... I understand. Like, that makes total sense. I feel like him even letting me into his life would be a blessing at this point. But if I'm being honest, the selfish part of me wants him back. I should have never let him go. I should have been there with him to work things through. It's... it sucks." Now I'm full on crying. "I messed up so bad Gracie."

Gracie listens as I cry. She doesn't say anything but I'm grateful for that. In this moment, I just need her presence.

After a few minutes, Gracie speaks again. "I know it sucks Channy but I think you two are moving in the right direction. Believe it or not. Because if Lucas was absolutely done with you, he wouldn't have given you the time of day. He would have walked away. But he listened. He gave you a chance. I would hold on to that. Give him the space he needs just like he gave you the space you needed. And be patient."

I nod as I sniffle. "You're right. I'm gonna just give him time. And wait it out. Thank you so much Gracie."

"What are friends for? Listen, my hubs just got home and we're supposed to be going out to dinner. I'll check in on you tomorrow okay?"

"Sounds good girl. Thank you so much. Again."

"Of course," Gracie says. "Love you!"

"Love you too." We hang up and I lie down on my couch. Talking with Graciela was just what I needed.