Chapter 20

Hi everyone! I apologize for the delay in publishing this update. I have been out of the country for the majority of the summer with very limited internet access. Thank you guys for sticking around! The next update may be awhile as I go back to school soon. See y'alls in the next chapter!

Chapter 20

Lucas' POV

The metal door clanks shut and I shutter. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be the one to pull the trigger that ended someone's life.

Because of the high profile of my case, I've been given an individual cell and don't have to deal with any violent cellmates. I rub my wrists, remembering the metal handcuffs chaffing against my skin.

As I sit down on my bunk, I can't help but cry. I've never cried this much in my life.

I really wanted to see Chantelle and while I'm happy she came, it also breaks my heart that this could be the end of our relationship.

Who am I kidding? This is the end of our relationship.

I want her to be happy. Of course I want her to be happy with me but more than that, I just want her to be happy. Yesterday was not the strong, sexy, confident and funny Chantelle that I know. Yesterday was a broken Chantelle, just barely keeping it together.

And that's all my fault. I did that to her. I took her spirit away from her and I had no right to do that.

I scoot back so that my back is against the wall and drop my head between my knees. Before I know it, I'm sobbing uncontrollably. The gravity of this entire situation is overwhelming. I close my eyes and, for the first time in my life, wish that I wasn't alive.

I wake up to a loud clanking on my cell door.

"Get up Stevenson!" I rub my eyes and uncurl out of the fetus position that I'm in. "You're lawyer is here."

I slowly stand up and walk towards the guard.

"Hands," he orders. I bring my wrists together and stick my hands through the slot in which my meals usually come through. He slaps on a heavy pair of handcuffs and I take my hands back. A loud buzz goes off and the metal door soon opens. I'm soon being escorted to the same visitor's room I was in last night.

When I walk up to one of the booths, there a pile of stuff on my side, including clothes and a thick file. I also see Jeff on the other side of the plexiglass. He's shuffling through papers and mumbling to himself.

I pick up the phone and patiently wait for him to notice that I'm sitting there. Two minutes later, he looks up and is startled when he sees me. He reaches for the phone.

"Hey Lucas. How you holding up?" he asks.

"Okay," I respond. Really, I'm less than okay but there's nothing that can be done about that at this point.

"So your trial starts in four hours. I came by to brief you. In all honesty, you won't be saying much. I'm you're legal counsel and will be speaking in your behalf. The file is the evidence I will be presenting as well as what the prosecution will be presenting. This case is pretty cut and dry. I give it a week, two max and you'll be a free man.

"Your mom gave me that suit for you to wear. There's also a razor so please shave and tie your hair back if possible."

I nod, looking through the pile of stuff.

"You have any questions for me?"

"Not really," I mumble. "So I need to be ready by 2?"

"Be ready by 1. The guards will escort you to the courthouse at 1:15. I will meet you in the lobby at 1:45 and we will proceed from there. Trust me when I say you have nothing to worry about Lucas."

I nod but everything goes in one ear and out the other.

At the moment, there's only two things on my mind: the fact that I took someone's life and the fact that Chantelle will probably never want anything to do with me.