Chapter 14

Lucas' POV

I'm startled from my deep sleep when I hear banging on my front door. Looking over at my alarm clock, it is 10 am on Saturday morning. I groan as I pull myself out of bed.

I worked from 11pm last night to 7am. These night shifts are killing me but the increased drug activity in Seattle means more law enforcement patrolling at night.

When I look through the peephole, I see Chantelle on the other side with her arms crossed and an impatient look on her face. We haven't talked in person since our conversation Thursday and I can tell she's upset.

"I'm mad at you," she says as soon as I open the door. She marches right past me and into my bedroom. I roll my eyes, something I learned from her, then close the door. I return to my bedroom to see Chantelle waiting under the covers of my bed for me. I crawl into bed with her, rest my forehead on hers and close my eyes.

"Why are you mad?" I finally ask.

"It's not that I'm mad," Chantelle finally sighs. "But annoyed. You've been working these super long night shifts back to back. And then when you come home, you sleep all day. I feel like there's this distance forming."

"Baby." I wrap my arms around her. "I know and I'm really sorry. Work has been taking over lately." I kiss her and she sighs. "I promise that I will have more time soon. There's just been an increase in drug activity so we're working closely with the DEA. It requires additional—

"I really don't want to talk about your job right now Luke. Can you just take a little more time out of your day to talk to me? I try so hard and sometimes I feel like I'm getting nowhere."

"Okay Chantelle. I'm really sorry, you know that. I promise things will get better."

She sighs and nuzzles into me. "I believe you. Part of me knows I'm being super insecure but I just really love you Lucas. I don't want anything to come between us."

"I know and I love you too." We cuddle for a few minutes before Chantelle speaks again.

"Can we spend the day together?" she asks excitedly. "I've been dying to try this new pho restaurant in Seattle."

"Um," I say cringing. "I actually work 3-11 this evening." The look on Chantelle's face is simply one of sadness. She closes her eyes and I can tell she's starting to cry.

"Sorry," she says. "I'm trying so hard to be patient Luke. It's just... hard. It's hard having a cop as a boyfriend you know."

"I know baby." I try to kiss her but she turns her back to me. I press my front against her back and she lets me spoon her.

"How about I make it up to you right now?" I say, pressing into her a little harder.

"Lucas, stop." She scoots away from me. "You know what? I think I should just go. I'm just really upset right now."

"Baby, no," I say, standing up soon after she does. "Please. I promise that this whole work thing is just temporary."

"I know," Chantelle says. She wipes at her eyes. "And I know I'm being really emotional but I... I'm just gonna go home. Just call me on your next day off. Maybe we can actually spend some time together."

I try to reach for her but she quickly walks out of my bedroom and out of my apartment. When she closes the door behind her, the gravity of the situation hits me.

My girlfriend has walked out on me because I pay more attention to my job than her. I sigh and do the thing I always do when I don't know what to do: call my mom.

"Lucas! Sweet boy, how are you?" my mom answers on the first ring.

"Eh," I say, sitting up in bed. "Chantelle and I just had a fight."

"Oh Luke. What happened?"

"I mean, I've just been working more. I really didn't think it was a big deal but she made me realize that I haven't really been spending time with her. We've kinda grown apart over the last two or three weeks."

"Ohhh.. I see," my mom sighs. "Well, I hate to break it to you but you do have to give your girlfriend attention. Chantelle is an understanding woman and I know she's in it for the long hall. You need to show her you love her in the little time that you have outside of work."

"Yeah, you're right mom. I'm just always so tired after a night shift."

"So? Just invite her over to have breakfast. Have a nap together. She seems like she would appreciate any time with you."

I rub my forehead. "You're right mom. I think I'm going to call her right now."

"Good choice. I'll talk to you later sweet boy."

"Love you." I hang up and immediately call Chantelle.

"What Luke?" she answers as a greeting.

"Do you want to come back over?" I ask weakly. "I do have to work in four hours but I was thinking we could just cuddle together, maybe take a nap?"

Chantelle sighs. "You need to sleep baby."

"Yeah," I say. "But I also need to spend time with my beautiful girlfriend or else she'll dump me."

She laughs. "I would never dump you. I'll be over in a couple minutes." She hangs up and I smile lightly. My mom was right about her being an understanding woman.

Five minutes later, there's a knock on my door. I throw on a shirt then answer the door.

"I like you better shirtless," Chantelle says walking past me. I smile then close the door. She heads towards my bedroom and I follow close behind. She's in short shorts and a cami. I lightly tap her behind and she yelps a little. A moment later, she turns around and backs me against the wall.

"Shouldn't you be getting some sleep?" she asked flirtatiously. "I wouldn't want to keep you up."

I grab her waist and walk towards her until she's backed up against the opposite wall. "You can keep me up as long as you want sexy." Soon I'm kissing her neck and she's moaning my name. "What am I going to do with you Chantelle Bernard?" I growl into her ear.

Her legs come up around my waist and I walk her to the bedroom.