Chapter 21

Chantelle's POV

Day one of Lucas Stevenson's trial revealed just how strong of a case the Bellevue police department has built. The prosecution stumbled many times, unsure of how to respond to lawyer Jeff Stanley's well-crafted argument and rebuttals. To the dismay of victim Darell William's family, this trial may be over sooner than―

I click off the tv and pull my blanket over my head.

I know what happened. Lucas wasn't in the wrong. He did what he was trained to do. But for some reason, it hurts too much. There's just something about ending another person's life, regardless of the circumstances, that doesn't sit right with me. With the way the trial is looking, I know Lucas is gonna be set free soon but I don't know if that's right.

My phone rings from the kitchen. I groan as slide off the couch and onto my feet. I don't recognize the number but I pick it up anyway.

"Hello?"

"Chantelle Bernard?"

"This is she. Who's calling?"

"Hi Ms. Bernard. My name is Lydia Camwell. How are you this evening?"

"Fine. What is this about?"

"I wanted to ask you some questions regarding Lucas Stevenson. Your reimbursement for helping me on this story would be $12,000 from the Bellevue Times."

I roll my eyes. "Please don't ever call this number again."

As soon as I hang up, my phone rings again.

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO EVER CALL AGAIN!" I'm about to hang up when I hear a familiar voice call my name.

"Mrs. Stevenson?" I ask.

"It's me," Allegra responds.

"I am so sorry." I cringe a little then take the phone back with me to the couch. "I've been getting so many reporters harassing me. I'm sorry Mrs. Stevenson."

"It's okay honey. Me too. How you holding up?"

"Uh, I'm.. hanging in there. Lucas called me yesterday and I went to visit him."

"You did? I'm so happy to hear that! How are you guys?"

I know how happy it makes Mrs. Stevenson to see Lucas finally with someone but with everything that's happened, I just don't know what to think.

"Honestly Mrs. Stevenson, I don't know. I love and care for Lucas but this is all too much." My eyes start to water and my voice gets shaky. "I don't know if I can deal with this much longer." I can hear Lucas' mom trying to keep it together on the other side.

"I understand honey," she finally sighs. "So much is happening right now. As much as I love the two of you together, you also need to do what's best for you. I know this is a lot Chantelle. I am so sorry."

Once again, I'm crying. "Thank you Mrs. Stevenson." I'm at a loss for words and don't know what else to say. "I've been keeping up with his trial. It looks like it might be over very soon."

"Yes," Allegra responds. "His lawyer said maybe one more week max. But there are so many repercussions that will come from this. Lucas probably won't be able to stay in the area or keep his job. Even though his lawyer and the evidence can prove that he wasn't in the wrong, he will remain a hated man, especially by many in the African-American community."

I nod even though I know she can't see me. "Yeah. The death of an unarmed black teenager is all too common nowadays. It will not blow over." And rightly so I think.

"Well hang in there love," Allegra says. "Keep in contact with Lucas if you're able to. You're the only thing keeping him together."

I say goodbye and hang up.

As hard as this all is, the thought of Lucas and I possibly succeeding as a couple is what is keeping me together.