Chapter 40

Chantelle's POV

I place our two wine glasses on the coffee table then pour a large glass of rosé for each of us. I place the bottle down then grab my glass and relax into the couch.

I really do love Lucas' apartment. It's loft style with an industrial feel. My favorite part is the large windows that overlook downtown SF. The view is incredible.

As I sip my wine, I start to feel the first bit of a buzz. We've finished the first bottle and there's no doubt we'll finish this one too. I'm glad I decided to Uber.

"Okay," Lucas says, sitting down. "I just wanted to get those dishes put away. Is that plate for me?"

"Yeah."

He grabs one of the plates then takes a bite of cake. "This is delicious."

"Thanks! I got it from a bakery in the Mission."

"I love it. Thanks for bringing it."

We both dig into our cake and continue downing wine. The more we drink, the easier our conversation flows.

"I can't believe it's already 11pm," I say. We've somehow made it through our third bottle of wine and most of the little cake I brought is gone. "I should get going."

I begin to slowly get up but not before Lucas rests a hand on my wrist. "You don't have to go so soon," he says.

I pause then lower myself back onto the couch. Mainly because I'm feeling pretty buzzed. I can tell Lucas is buzzed too.

He scoots closer to me on the couch. "I'm really happy you came. Like, seriously."

Before I know it, I'm scooting closer too. "I'm happy I came too." My voice is just barely a whisper as we continue to inch closer to each other.

"Are... are you sure you want this?" I ask. I definitely want whatever is gonna happen in the next moment but I don't know that our relationship is there yet. The alcohol has definitely taken over.

"Yeah," Lucas says as his lips meet mine. Our kiss is timid at first. We're both unsure and I can feel it in the air.

As the initial moment passes, our kiss becomes greedier. I feel myself reaching for him. Lucas places his hand on my hips and a moment later, he slides me onto his lap. I straddle his thighs and my dress rides up my backside.

Our kiss is passionate but also drunkenly fueled by three bottles of wine. As my hands rake through his hair, his hands dance up and down my back.

I want more. I want the part of Lucas I once so passionately enjoyed. But at the same time, I don't want to do it in a way that either one of us will regret.

"Baby," I finally say, placing my hand on his chin. "I don't think we should do this while we're drunk."

He kisses my collar bone then pulls away.

"You're right." His hands fall to my bare thighs. "I just... I got carried away."

"I did too." I caress his face once more before climbing off his lap and standing up. "I don't want to have make up sex just because we're both drunk and horny. I want it to mean something."

Lucas nods and stands up too. "I agree. I'm sorry Channy."

I peck his cheek. "We're gonna work through this. Now I'm gonna go before either of us change our minds."

Lucas chuckles. "Okay, I'll order your Uber while you put your shoes on."

Once my Uber arrives, Lucas walks me to the car and we say goodbye.

"I'll see you soon?" I say, opening the car door.

"Yeah, very soon. Text me when you get home okay?"

"I will," I say. I get into the car and Lucas closes the door.

I tilt my head back and close my eyes. What a night.