Chapter 12

Lucas' POV

As usual, we end the night with dessert and a game of Taboo that gets incredibly controversial. Every time I look over at Chantelle, she is laughing her eyes out and it makes me so happy to see how easily she's fit in with my family. Both Trinity and Jonathan are sitting with her and they way she's entertaining them makes me wonder what she'd be like if we had kids together.

"Okay," my brother Thomas says. "I think we need to head out. It's way past the kids bedtime." I look at my watch and it's 11:00pm.

"But it's Friday!" Jonathan protests.

"And you have soccer tomorrow early morning," Thomas retorts. "Let's go."

Pouting, Jonathan gets up and heads to the front door where his shoes are. Trinity is half asleep when Thomas bends down to take her from Chantelle.

"Maybe one of these days, you can babysit for us," Thomas jokes. "The kids love you."

"I'd love to," Chantelle says. Thomas, Tracey and their kids take off. A few minutes later, Joseph and Jessica are getting ready to leave.

"Should we head out?" I ask Chantelle, dropping my head on her shoulder. She yawns and I peck her cheek.

"Sure. I'm pretty tired." We both stand up and I take her hand as we head to the kitchen to say goodbye to my mom.

"Are you two leaving?" my mom asks as we walk in the kitchen.

"Yeah," I nod.

"Oh!" My mom dries her hands on her apron and hugs Chantelle. "Thank you so much for coming. It was nice to meet you, Chantelle. You'll have to come back next month, if we didn't scare you away that is."

"You didn't scare me away at all," Chantelle says. "If Lucas still likes me next month, I'll most definitely be here."

My mom and Chantelle trade numbers and talk for a few more minutes before we're finally able to leave. We say goodbye to my dad then walk out towards my car.

"Your family is incredible," Chantelle says, linking her arm through mine. "And I absolutely adore Trinity. She's the cutest."

I smile then wrap my arm around her waist. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I know everyone loved you, especially my mom." Chantelle giggles. We're standing outside the passenger door of my car when I pause. Chantelle looks at me and smiles lightly.

"I know we haven't been dating long," I start. "But I really like you Chantelle. When I'm with you, I feel so happy. Would you... would you like to be my girlfriend? Like officially?"

Chantelle smiles widely. "Of course Lucas." In a moment, her lips are planted on mine and we're kissing intimately. "But," she says pulling back. "One condition."

My heart skips. "Okay," I say wearily.

"You gotta bring me to all your family dinners from here on out."

"Deal," I say with a huge smile on my face. I kiss Chantelle once more then open the passenger door for her. After the plops down, I drop into my driver seat then head home.

"Question," Chantelle says. "Why did your dad think I was studying philosophy at the University of Washington?"

I smile weakly. "I kinda... made some stuff up about you last month."

Chantelle looks at me sideways. "It was a few days after I'd met you and we were having our family dinner. My family was badgering me about not having a girlfriend, as usual. So I told them that I was dating you. Of course, they started asking questions and I didn't know you so I made some stuff up."

Chantelle laughs loudly and I'm glad she's not creeped out or mad. "Just warn me next time, okay babe?"

"Babe?" I ask.

"Well, you are my boyfriend now," Chantelle flirts.

"That is true." I kiss her hand as we speed home.