Chapter 11

Chantelle's POV

I go through my closet for the 100th time today. I'm having dinner with Lucas' family and I really want them to like me. I glance down at my alarm clock across the room and it reads 4:15. Lucas is supposed to pick me up at 5 and I'm still not ready.

I finally pull out a navy blue dress. When I slip it on, I'm reminded of how much I love it. It's fitted up top but flares out past my waist. I put on a pair of black heels then pull out my favorite black pea coat to put on top. Fall in the pacific northwest is no joke.

I run a blowdryer through my wet hair and quickly run a flatiron through afterwards. My jewelry comes next and I settle on a small pair of diamond earrings and no necklace.

When I grab my purse, I realize that I don't have a gift for Lucas' family. I look at the clock and it's already 4:57. Lucas is going to be here any—

There's a knock on my door and I go to answer it.

"Hey Chantelle," Lucas says when I open the door. I take a moment to drink him in. He's in khakis and an olive green button down. His hair is buzzed and he's smiling that dazzling smile. I go to hug him and he wraps his arms around me.

"Hi," I say. "Thanks for picking me up."

Lucas laughs. "You don't live that far." I laugh too then close my door as Lucas takes my hand.

"So," I say as we're walking towards the staircase at the end of the hall. "I totally forgot to get something for your parents. I was so caught up in getting ready that it totally slipped my mind."

"What do you mean, 'get something'?" Lucas asks as we approach the parking lot. He unlocks his car. "You don't need to take anything Chantelle. Trust me, they'll be happy to see you." He opens the passenger door and I drop down into the seat. He walks around the back of the car then sits in the driver's seat.

"No, really Lucas," I say as he starts the car. "Can we stop somewhere along the way? Maybe Sprouts or Trader Joe's so I can get a cake and some flowers?"

Lucas stalls the car before we pull out on the main road and takes my hand. "Chantelle, I promise you don't need to bring anything." He kisses my hand. "But if it makes you feel better, there is a Trader Joe's down the street from my parent's place in Tacoma. It's gonna take us about 45 minutes."

"Thank you so much," I say, smiling.

"Anything for you." He leans across the car to kiss me and I kiss him back.

When we get to Trader Joe's, I pick out a chocolate cake and a bouquet of sunflowers. Lucas follows me to the register and pulls out his wallet.

"I'm not letting you pay," I say, looking up at him. "This is my gift."

Lucas shakes his head. "It's okay Chantelle. I invited you. I'll buy."

When it's time to pay, I hand the cashier my card before Lucas has a chance too. He raises his eyebrows at me when I stick my tongue at him. As we're walking out the door, I smack Lucas on the butt, which makes him jump. A moment later, he pinches my butt and I look at him and smile.

The smile he returns is huge.

Something about this man is making me fall in love with him I think to myself as Lucas opens the passenger door for me.

"Thanks," I say, sitting down.

"Don't get too used to it," Lucas flirts. "Once you're officially my girlfriend, you'll have to open the door yourself. I'm just trying to impress you right now." I roll my eyes and laugh as he closes the door gently then walks around to the driver's side.