Chapter 41

Sorry for the lag everyone. I have not found the motivation to write these last couple weeks. This one is short but I figure something is better than nothing.

Lucas' POV

I wake up the next morning with a small headache. Who knew wine could sneak up on you like that?

I turn on my shower and strip down. As I step into the hot water, I let out a long breath and start to reflect on last night.

It was overall really good. I was a bit worried about how the night was gonna go but it went well. I'm glad Chantelle was mentally clear enough to stop us before we went too far. As much as I wanted her in that moment, if we're gonna go back to having sex, I want it to be because our relationship is secure again, not
because we had too much wine one night.

I finish my shower then change into some running clothes. After a quick breakfast and some Gatorade, I head out the door to do a quick run.

Halfway through my run, my phone starts to buzz. It's my mom. I slow to a walk then answer the phone.

"Did I catch you in the middle of your run?" my mom asks immediately.

"Yeah. Don't worry about it though. What's up?"

"I just wanted to say hi," my mom says, "and see how you're doing."

"Pretty good," I say. I find a bench and take a seat. "Work is good. I've been exploring SF. Going to therapy to work through my feelings with the shooting and with Chantelle." I think about not mentioning Chantelle but know it's gonna come up anyways. "We're... we're working on it."

"I'm happy to hear that Lucas." I'm glad my mom doesn't press me for more because I'm not quite ready to talk about it.

"Are you coming home for thanksgiving next month?" she asks.

"Of course mom. I wouldn't miss it."

"Okay, good. That's honestly all I needed to know." My mom laughs and I do too. "I'll let you get back to your run."

"Thanks mom. I'll text you later." I hang up the phone then pick up the pace. It feels so good to run, especially after last night. I can finally clear my head a bit.