Chapter 34

Lucas' POV

I offer a small smile as Chantelle and I reach some middle ground. It hasn't been the easiest conversation but it alone has been growth. Chantelle and I have never really communicated like this before.

We sip at our coffees before she speaks again. "So what are you doing for work now?"

"Security," I say. It hits me that we have 6 months worth of our lives to catch up on. And so much has changed. "I'm the head of security at Twitter. Mostly just supervising officers, overseeing the security network and researching and instituting new protocols. Not super exciting stuff but it pays well and it's a job."

"It sounds cool," Chantelle replies. "You're working at one of Silicon Valley's most successful companies. That's something to be proud of."

She's right. It's not being a cop but those days are over.

"What about you? You're still at Cosmo?"

"Yeah, I'm an assistant managing editor. I work right under the editor in chief. In a few years, that's the position I could be promoted to."

"Wow! That's incredible. Congrats to you."

"Thanks!" Chantelle is now smiling from ear to ear. And she's beautiful. I did miss this side of her. "I'm super excited. It's been fun so far. The whole team has welcomed me with open arms and everyone is so easy to get along with."

"I'm happy for you Chantelle."

"Thank you Lucas." Our conversation cools off again as we both finish our coffees. When we're done, we both stand up to take our cups to the trash.

"I'm really glad we could do this," Chantelle says as I hold the door open for her. "Like, you don't understand how happy this makes me."

"Me too," I admit. It's gonna be a long road ahead of us but it will hopefully be worth it. We step aside the door and face each other.

"I guess this is goodbye for now?" Chantelle suggests. I can tell she doesn't want to leave. Neither do I really. But at the same time, I need this to go slow. I'm not ready for the whirlwind relationship we had the first time around.

"Yeah," I finally say. I lean in to hug her for the first time in months. I wrap my arms around her waist and her arms embrace my back. It's a small act but I've definitely missed this. If I'm being honest with myself, I want this again.

We hold each other for more than a few moments before I finally pull away.

"Text me when you get home," I say, creating space between us once again.

"I will," Chantelle says.

We say goodbye then take off in opposite directions.

It's a marathon, I remind myself, not a sprint.