Chapter 18

Another chapter for you guys! Thanks for sticking around. :)

Lucas' POV

Back in my studio, I realize that I have almost no access to the outside world. There's no TV or computer. All I have is books, a few magazines, art materials and a fully stocked kitchen. I type Chantelle's number into the temporary landline that I was given for the tenth time today. For some reason, I can't bring myself to press the little green button that will actually send the call.

I sit down on the bed then bring my knees up to my chest. I can't remember that last time I cried but now I can't stop the tears from coming.

I didn't mean to kill him. Coming into the police force, they told us that killing people was sometimes part of the job but I refuse to believe that anymore. As a human being, who am I to take another person's life? I can't believe what I've done.

I break down and roll up into a ball as sobs rack my body.

When I wake up, I have no idea what day or what time it is but I'm starving. Going through the kitchen, I see that there's a waffle maker so I mix up some of the waffle mix and heat up the grill. As I'm pouring the batter onto the grill, there's a knock on my door.

"Yes?" I say, answering the door. I open the door to see my lawyer.

"Are you ready for your court appearance?" Jeff asks. He's in a dark, pinstriped suit and very well-groomed. After looking me up and down, he shakes his head.

"Is that today?"

Jeff looks down at his watch. "Monday, March 30, 2016. It's 8 a.m. and your court appearance is at 9:30."

I must have slept all through Sunday. My beard has started to grow out and I haven't showered in two days. I am nowhere near ready for a court appearance.

"I'll be back at 8:30," Jeff says, walking away.

I walk back into my studio to the smell of something burning. When I open the waffle maker, the waffle is completely charred. I turn the grill off and walk into the bathroom to get ready.

30 minutes later, I'm cleanly shaven and dressed in a dark grey suit that was hanging for me in my closet. My face is cleanly shaven and I smell like lavender body wash.

I follow Jeff down the hall and down several flights of stairs. We are soon walking in an underground hallway.

"Where are we?" I ask Jeff.

"The safe house you're staying in is connected to the county court by way of an underground tunnel system."

Five minutes later, we are climbing up several stairs. We finally arrive inside the courthouse and have to walk through metal detectors. As I walk into the courtroom, I see that the gallery is filled with reporters, camera men and a lot of black people. I'm assuming they're here to support the prosecution.

My attorney and I sit down behind a desk and a woman walks over, introducing herself as the second attorney on my case. I nod as she sits down but am too busy looking around the room for my parents. When I finally see my mom, she is sobbing into my dad's shoulder. He gives me a tight grin and I nod back at him.

"All rise," the deputy says. I rise and so does everyone in the courtroom. "The honorable Judge Caleb Yu now presides." A fat Asian man sits at the head of the room. He's bald but doesn't look a day over 30. "You may be seated."

We all sit down and the prosecution presents their case.

"On the behalf of the Williams family," a stalk blonde woman says, standing up. She buttons her suit jacket. "We would like to prosecute Mr. Lucas Stevens to the fullest extent of the law."

I hear my mom gasp from the back of the courtroom and look to the side at my lawyer. The lady goes on.

"Charges we are filing are as follows: first-degree murder, manslaughter, unintentional manslaughter and racial profiling."

My lawyer leans over and whispers something in my ear. "They're just throwing everything at you with the hopes that something will stick."

The remainder of the court proceedings go by in a blur and all I can think about is Chantelle. I love her so much and this just may be the beginning of the end.

"After much consideration," the judge says, clearing his throat, "A trial will proceed." The entire courtroom gasps and I hear some crying from the back. Everything is happening so quickly that I am unsure of what to think. "Bail for Lucas Stevenson is currently set at $500,000." The judge bangs his gavel. "Court is adjourned until next week."

Before I know it, two police officers are approaching me and asking me to stand up. My arms are put behind my back and I hear metal clink. Everything's a blur.

I just want to go home.

I just want Chantelle.