Chapter 27

Lucas' POV

I pack the last of my boxes into the pod that U-Haul dropped off this morning. A couple of movers are picking it up in an hour and it'll be in California before I drive down in two days.

I head back upstairs to my now empty apartment and take a look around. The living room and kitchen are completely empty. The only things left are two suitcases filled with some clothes for the next couple days and toiletries.  I also have my laptop and notebook paper.

It's crazy to think that I'm practically starting a whole new life. I was able to find a job as the head of security at the Twitter headquarters in San Francisco. It's actually a pretty good gig as it's mostly an office job, managing security detail throughout the building. It's not my dream job but my dream job is now gone. I'm just thankful to be employed given the circumstances.

My phone rings and it's my mom.

"Hey Mom," I say, sitting on the floor. "What's up?"

"Not much. Your dad and I just wanted to see you one more time... before you leave." My mom's voice is shaky and I can tell she's been crying. "Can you come over today?"

"Yeah," I say. I stand up. "I can be over in 15."

My mom cheers up. "Oh great! I'll make your favorite for dinner."

"Sounds good Mom." I hang up and get dressed. This will probably be the last time I see my family for a few months. My plan is to come back home for the holidays. But it won't be the same. I'll definitely miss regular family dinners.

"Baby boy!" my mom says as soon as I walk in the door. She wraps me in a hug and I hold her tight. We're both holding back tears. It's over a minute before she finally lets me go. "Come in."

As soon as I'm in the door, my niece Trinity comes running into my arms.

"Uncle Lukey!!"

"Hi babes." I smile as I pick her up. She grabs my face then kisses me on the forehead.

"Mommy said you're going to Caweephoneya."

I chuckle as she stumbles through her words.

"I am. I got a new job there."

"But don't leave." She starts to pout and I snuggle her close.

"It's okay Trin. I'll be back for Thanksgiving."

"Thanksgiving?" My sister Jessica walks up. "Is that really the next time we're gonna see you?"

"Hello to you too" I reply. I put Trinity down and she runs down the hallway.

"Sorry, I'm just not ready to see you go." My sister gives me a hug and I hug her back. It's going to be an emotional evening.

By the time the night is over, my whole family has shed tears over me leaving. My parents walk me out to my car after both my siblings have left.

"So what time are you leaving Sunday?" My mom asks.

"Probably around 6am. It's a 13 hour drive and I'll probably stop two or three times. My goal is to get there before midnight."

My dad nods. "Well I'm proud of you son for taking this big step. I think a new beginning will do you well."

My mom sniffles and I pull her in for a hug. "It's okay mom. I'm gonna be back soon. And you guys are always welcome to visit."

"I know, but it won't be the same." She wipes her eyes. "I'm gonna miss you so much."

"I promise to FaceTime a lot."

My mom hugs me long and hard and I have to hold back my tears. Once she lets go, my dad hugs me as well.

"I love you guys," I say, taking my keys out. "I'll let you know when I hit the road and when I get to San Francisco."

My mom simply nods as tears flow down her face. I hop on my car and start the engine. My dad is holding my mom as I shift my car into gear and roll down my window.

"Love you," I say again.

"Love you too," my dad says. "Bye son." My parents wave me off as I back out of the driveway.

I managed to get through the evening without shedding a tear but as soon as I'm on the freeway, the tears come rushing out.

Saturday passes by quickly and before I know it, it's Sunday morning. I put my suitcases and laptop in the trunk of my car before heading back to my apartment to do a final sweep.

The place is completely empty and looks like it did when I first moved in. All that's left is a pen and paper. I stand at the kitchen counter and write one last note for Chantelle.