Chapter 7

Chantelle's POV

I wake up Saturday morning with a huge smile on my face. I dreamt of going on a long walk with Lucas. At the end of our walk, a huge wave came and sucked us both into the ocean. It was one of those weird dreams. Towards the end, we both became mermaids and lived on a small island in Antarctica.

I reluctantly throw the blanket off of me then quickly brush my teeth. After I'm done washing my face, my mind automatically goes to breakfast. I decide to make myself pancakes and eggs.

As I'm eating, my phone buzzes and I look down to see a text from Lucas.

Good morning Chantelle. I hope you had fun last night. Let's do it again sometime soon?

I smile then quickly text him back.

I did in fact have fun. Thank you for dinner.

You're welcome. Does that mean we're gonna have a second date?

Again, my stupid smile is back.

Sure. I text him back. I'd like that. I want to keep the conversation going but I don't know what else to say.

I'll talk to you soon then. Have a good day Chantelle. Just like that, our conversation is over and I feel kind of deflated.

I return to eating my breakfast and a moment later, there's a knock at my door. My heart flutters and I quickly wipe the crumbs from my face. I don't need Lucas seeing me like this.

I head towards the door and open it. My heart sinks when I see my neighbor, Ms. Johnson.

"Hi Ms. Johnson," I say halfheartedly. I was really hoping that it would be Lucas on the other side of this door. "How are you?"

"Good." Her chihuahua barks in her arms and I already know what she's going to say. "Can you watch Cocoa for the afternoon? Bill and I are going to visit some family in Seattle."

I nod reluctantly. "Sure Ms. Johnson."

"Thank you so much Chantelle." She puts Cocoa on the ground and the dog sprints into my apartment. "And here is some money for the trouble." I gladly accept her $100 bill.

"I'll be back around 1p," she says, already leaving.

I smile then turn my attention to Cocoa who is already chewing at my shoes. It's going to be a long afternoon.