Chapter 35

Chantelle's POV

"Overall, these pages look great," I say to the group. I am conducting our last weekly meeting before we send next month's issue off to the printer. "If we can just have the Lifestyle section correct those two grammatical mistakes, I'll bring these to Clarisse for one final read through." I adjourn the meeting and the room clears out.

I love my new position here at Cosmo. I get to read through and edit each edition of the paper before forwarding it to the editor in chief. It's challenging but also a lot of fun.

I make my way down to the cafeteria to grab a quick lunch before heading up to my office to brainstorm ideas for January's issue.

"Hey." I'm in line to pay for my food and turn around to see a girl, probably just a little younger than me.

"Hi," I reply, a little weary. "Do I know you?"

"Oh no," she replies. "I'm just an intern. I just wanted to mention that it's been great having you here. The last assistant manager was a total ass."

I laugh. "Well thanks. I'm happy to be here. What's your name?"

"Jessica," she says, sticking her hand out to shake mine.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Chantelle."

I pay for my food then we say our goodbyes. I really do love it here.

Lucas' POV

The clock strikes one and my lunch break starts. I leave my office and head outside to get some fresh air. I spend most of my day behind a desk and it's still something I'm getting used to.

I find a bench in the courtyard then take out my phone. It's time for me to find a therapist.

I google "therapist downtown San Francisco" and hundreds of results come up. One of the highest rated ones is a man that looks like he might be in his 50s-60s. He went to Harvard then John Hopkins and has a PhD in counseling psychology. He's also African-American.

I find the number to his office then give him a call.

"Dr. Miller's office," a secretary says. "How may we help you?"

"Hi," I say, a little unsure of what to actually say. "I'm interested in getting some therapy."

"Alright. Is this prescribed by another doctor or ordered by a court of law?"

"Um, no? I've just been through some stuff and think I could benefit from some therapy."

"No problem. Can I get a name?"

"Lucas Stevenson."

"Okay Mr. Stevenson. So Dr. Miller is currently accepting new clients at the moment. We generally have new clients fill out a questionnaire online before having them come in. Can I get an email to send that to?"

I give her my email and she provides me with more instructions.

"Go ahead and fill that out as soon as you can. As for the cost, our office works with insurance and most providers cover the cost. For insurance that does not cover the cost,  we have a sliding scale and charge based on income, not to exceed $70/hr. Sessions are generally 1-2 hours long although the doctor is open to extending that time if necessary. Dr. Miller has availability as soon as tomorrow if you're interested."

"What time?"

"He has a lunchtime 1pm and then an evening 6pm."

I work until 5 so I take the 6pm.

"You're all set Mr. Stevenson. We'll see you tomorrow."