Chapter 32

Lucas' POV

My mom picks up on the first ring, as usual.

"I've been waiting to hear from you, you know?"

I chuckle as I plop down on my couch. "You're always waiting to hear from me Ma. How are you?"

"Pretty good. I'm babysitting Jonathan and Trinity for the weekend while Thomas and Trace take their anniversary trip. They're watching Toy Story right now. How have you been?"

"I'm.. okay," I sigh. I have to mentally prepare myself to get into this.

"What's wrong?" my mom asks.

"I ran into Chantelle."

"You did?" My mom is absolutely shocked. "What? How? Where? When?"

I laugh. "I know mom. It was at the farmers market earlier today. She was literally right in front of me and turned around.

"That is absolutely crazy Lucas. How did that go?"

"Well," I let out a deep breath. "Okay, I guess. It got pretty awkward if I'm being honest. And I don't know why but I was pissed. Like, her presence kind of made me angry." 

"You were angry that she left."

"Yeah, exactly. But at the same time, I was kind of... I don't know.. happy that she was there? I don't know. It was just a lot of feelings going on."

"Did you guys talk?"

"We did. She apologized. Genuinely. And told me she's still in love with me. It was a lot mom."

"It sounds like it. How are you feeling now? Especially now that you're not in the heat of the moment."

"I'm okay I guess. I'm happy to see she's doing well. I told her that I'd reach out to her in a week but I just needed time. I don't even know that I want to continue to have a relationship with her. She left me at my lowest mom."

"You're right babe. But I feel like there are some things you need to account for before you write her off. For one, you said she was genuinely sorry for what she did. There's no instruction manual on what to do when your cop boyfriend is involved in a shooting. I know that had to have shaken her world. She didn't handle it right but it sounds like she's learned. We all make mistakes."

"Yeah," I mumble, recognizing my mom's reasoning. 

"Second, don't you think your meeting was absolutely the universe at work? What are the chances of a chance encounter with the love of your life in a city 800 miles from where you first met?"

"I don't know that she's the love of my life mom."

"Well, the way you were when you two were together showed me that she was the love of your life. But that's just my observation."

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, yeah."

"Don't roll your eyes," my mom says.

This time I laugh. "You know me so well."

"Well you did come out of me."

"Ugh. I did not need to hear that Ma."

My mom laughs. "Just... give her a chance Lucas. That's what you wanted from her 6 months ago. Be the bigger person I've raised you to become. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work but I want you to at least try."

"Okay," I say. She's right. I don't want to be to Chantelle who she was to me 6 months ago. Time will tell if she's truly learned and changed. "I'll reach out to her."

"Good boy," my mom says. "Make me proud."

"Love you mom."

"Love you too baby boy. I'll talk to you soon."

I hang up the phone then mull on my mom's words.