Chapter 2

Lucas' POV

She was beautiful. Chantelle.

The next couple days, all I can think about is the beautiful, dark-skinned woman that I pulled over Friday night. I hate myself for giving her a ticket but it was the only thing I could do to buy more time with her.

After patrolling all Sunday night, I head back to the station. The clock reads 5:30 a.m. and my shift is over in half an hour.

I nod at Kenny as he lets me in the back gate. A moment later, I'm parked in my usual spot. I hop out of the cruiser and head inside the station.

"Hey Melinda," I say walking in through the backdoor. I go through the usual protocol, handing over my keys, my gun, then the rest of my duty belt.

"Thank you deputy," Melinda responds, handing me the usual paperwork. I quickly scribble down the number of tickets I gave overnight and sign my name. Most nights are pretty slow patrolling Bellevue.

The city is right outside Seattle. While I do sometimes work with Seattle police department when they are short on staff, most of my nights consist of patrolling the smaller city of Bellevue. Some nights I'll have a rookie with me but I prefer working alone.

After saying goodbye to everyone at the office, I head towards the front parking lot and drop into my new Mustang. The engine roars to life and I can't help the small smile that comes to my face. I saved up for a year waiting to buy this car. And I'm so glad I did. She rides fast and smooth as I speed home, ready for some rest.

When I get home, I put my keys on the hook behind the door and flick on the lights. The first thing I do is head to my room and throw myself into bed. It's been a long night.

I'm about to fall asleep when I remember the huge pile of laundry sitting in my bathroom. Most days, I would just leave it there but the management is supposed to start working on the laundry room tomorrow morning. If I don't get my laundry done today, it will be another week before I can.

I groan as I pull myself out of bed and head to my bathroom. The sooner I can get this done, the sooner I can go to bed.

A few minutes later, my laundry is sorted. I grab the detergent, a roll of quarters then head across the apartment complex towards the laundry mat. When I get inside, I start two washing machines and wait for them to fill with water. I lean against the table as the laundry door opens again.

When I look up, I see Chantelle struggling to bring in a load of laundry. I immediately stand up and help her get through the door.

"Thanks," she says before looking up. We make eye contact and she seems to stop breathing.

"Hi," she says, breathlessly.

"Hey." I smile then help her set her laundry basket on the table. "How are you?"

"I'm okay," she smiles. And her smile is perfect. "How are you?"

"Okay as well," I say. "Tired."

"I could imagine. Giving tickets all night is probably exhausting."

I feel my face get hot. "I'm sorry about that," I spit out. "I didn't really know... what to do."

Chantelle gives me a lopsided look. "But that's your job, isn't it?"

"Yeah. It is. Well, it isn't. I'm supposed to keep people safe." I don't know why I can't speak. This isn't me.

Chantelle giggles. "It's okay." She sighs then starts up two washing machines next to me. I begin to load my laundry while she waits for her washers to fill. "I didn't catch your name by the way," she says. "Your first name I mean, Officer Stevenson."

"Lucas." I reach out my hand to shake hers. "Lucas Stevenson."

She places her hand in mine and I take a moment to really admire her. She's tall. At least 5'9. Her skin is a beautiful, soft, dark brown and her eyes are brown too. She has curly hair pulled into a tight bun and a curvy waist. Her body looks like she goes to the gym and I can't help but appreciate a woman who takes care of herself.

"I'm Chantelle," she says. "Chantelle Bernard."

"Nice to meet you," I say. "Well, again. In a less... legal setting."

She smiles again. "It's nice to meet you too." She starts loading her laundry and I finish loading mine. I know I should probably go, but I really don't want to.

"So," I say. "Which unit are you in?"

Chantelle eyes me. "I don't know if I should be giving out my address to a total stranger." I can't tell if she's being flirty or not.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry." I nervously rub the back of my neck. "You don't have to answer that."

She laughs again. I'm starting to like the sound. "I'm kidding," she says. "Apartment 65. I'm on the second floor."

I nod. "I'm in 73. Also the second floor." Chantelle smiles and finishing loading her washers.

"I've seen you in the gym and the parking structure before. Even here in the laundry room," she says. "It's funny that we've never talked though. I know most of the people that live in this complex, even though it's huge."

"Yeah," I agree. "I pretty much keep to myself if I'm not on the job."

"Makes sense," Chantelle says. "Well, I'm gonna head out. It was good seeing you again, Lucas."

I want to say something more to make her stay but I'm stuck. Instead, I nod and say goodbye. When she's gone, I lean against the table and shake my head.

I can't believe how attracted I am to this woman.