Chapter 9

Chantelle's POV

I anxiously look at my phone for probably the hundredth time today. It's been three days since I last talked to Lucas and I'm starting to think that I did something wrong on the first date. There's a knock on my office door and I look up to see Graciela walking in carrying two bags from Panera.

"I brought you lunch," she says. "A half chicken salad, macaroni and cheese and a bottle of orange juice, pulp free."

"You're the best Graciela," I say, glancing at my phone. She hands me my bag then sits across from me.

"Is that why there's a pile of work on my desk?"

I look up from my phone, confused.

"You've hardly looked up from your phone since I walked in here." She opens up her food and takes a bite. "And you're usually so excited to see food. What's wrong?"

I laugh. "There's nothing wrong." I start opening my lunch.

"I know it isn't any of my business but does his have to do with a guy?"

I smile weakly. "Maybe."

Graciela's eyes light up. "Tell me!"

"Okay, but you gotta close the door." Graciela closes the door then runs back. "His name is Lucas," I begin. "He works as a police officer."

"Ohh!" Graciela takes out her sandwich. "I like him already."

"I actually met him when he pulled me over for running a stoplight two weeks ago. Turns out, we both live in the Markham Apartments. He's... I think he's about my age. Maybe a year older."

"You don't know how old he is?" Graciela questions.

"I just realized that I never asked. He can't be that old though. And he's hot. Like really hot. We went to dinner last Friday and I couldn't get over how gorgeous he was. He's a gentleman too."

"Sounds like a good catch to me. When are you going to see him again?"

"That's the thing. I don't know. The last time we talked was Saturday and I don't want to come on too strong."

"Did he text first last time or you?"

"He did."

"Then he's waiting for you to text first," Graciela says. "Maybe you should bake him cookies and stop by his apartment tonight. You know, the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Anddd you bake the best cookies."

"You know Graci, I think that's a good idea."

She smiles sweetly as we finish our lunch. "Guys like strong-willed women."

I go through the rest of the day, thinking about what I should bake Lucas. My thoughts settle on Magic Cookie Bars. They're made from layered graham cracker crumbs, butter, condensed milk, coconut, chocolate chips and pecans. They're also the best cookie on earth.

As soon as the clock hits five, I jump from my desk and head towards my car. I'm going to bake Lucas some cookies.

It's just past 9p.m. when I finish baking. I package everything nicely into a cute tupperware container then head to Lucas'. I hope he's home.

I know a couple times and when he opens the door, I have to stop my jaw from hitting the ground. The only thing he's wearing is a pair of boxers. His abs are perfectly formed along with every other muscle in his body. I look him up and down, taking in his masculine body.

"I'll call you back mom," he says into the phone. After he hangs up, he smiles at me. "Hey Chantelle. It's good to see you."

"Hi," I say nervously. "I brought you some cookies." He looks at my tupperware container as I hand it to him. Why do I feel like a Girl Scout in this moment?

"You want to come inside?" Lucas asks. "I can only eat these if you share them with me."

I breathe in a little deeper then nod. "I'd love to." He opens the door wider and as I step into his apartment, I can't help but notice how much of a mancave it is. He has a ginormous tv, all leather furniture and an Xbox One. As for the kitchen, there aren't many appliances except a coffee maker, fridge and stove. It's very simple but it's also very clean.

"Let me throw on a shirt," Lucas says while putting the cookies on his dining table. "There are cups in the cupboard and milk in the fridge."

I slip my sandals off then look through the cupboards to find two tall glasses. I'm filling them both with milk when Lucas comes out of his bedroom. Now he's in plaid pajama bottoms and a white tank top. I definitely miss the boxers.

"I was wondering when I'd hear from you." Lucas grabs the tupperware off the table and heads to the living room. I follow him with the milk. "I was starting to think I said something weird on the first date."

I laugh lightly as we both sit on his couch. "I was starting to think I said something weird."

Lucas bites into a cookie then smile widely. "Holy crap. Did you make these Chantelle?"

I nod and take a cookie for myself.

"These are the most amazing cookies ever!!" He eats two more.

"I'm glad you like them."

We share in small talk for a few more minutes until all the cookies are gone. I so badly don't want to leave but it's getting late.

"I'm glad you came over," Lucas says, turning in the couch to face me.

"I'm glad I came over too." Something in me tells me to stop being so shy. "I like you a lot Lucas," I finally blurt out. "That's why I came over. I wanted to see you."

Lucas leans over and brings his face close to mine. "I like you two Chantelle. A lot." He smiles and places his hand under my chin. "May I?" he asks when his lips are right above mine.

"Yes, please," I say confidently.

His hand caresses my face as his lips meet mine. Our shy kiss turns passionate and my hand rests on his inner thigh. Before I know it, we're making out. We continue kissing until Lucas' phone rings.

"Sorry," Lucas says breathlessly.

"It's okay." I back off so he can reach his phone.

"Hey mom," he says into the phone. "I said I would call you back."

I listen to him talk.

"I'm busy."

"You don't need to know that mom."

"Yes."

"Yes."

Lucas looks over at me and rolls his eyes, pointing at his phone.

"If you must know mom, I do have a girl over. Chantelle."

Lucas winks at me and I grab one of his couch pillows to wrap my arms around it.

"Let me ask." Lucas takes his phone away from his ear and turns his attention towards me. "Do you want to come to a family dinner with me on Friday?"

"Yeah!" I nod enthusiastically.

"Yes, mom," Lucas says into the phone. "She'll come."

A minute later, Lucas is off the phone looking at me.

"Looks like you'll get to meet the family."

I smile nervously.

"Trust me," Lucas says, bending in for a kiss. "They'll love you."