Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Chantelle's POV

Bail for Police Officer Lucas Stevenson set at $500,000

I immediately close the webpage that I'm on and bring my hand over my mouth. I'm going to puke. As I look frantically around my office, I find a paper basket and soon everything I had for lunch is coming back up.

Seeing so much news coverage regarding Lucas has drained me both physically and emotionally. Even worse, I haven't heard from him since the shooting. And it's been a week.

When I'm done yaking, there's a knock at my door.

"Come in," I say, groaning.

Graciela walks in and looks at me with the same look everyone has been giving me: pity. No one knows that Lucas hasn't reached out to me yet but everyone knows that I'm going through hell.

"You okay?" Gracie asks.

"No." I put my head down on my desk and soon begin to cry. My cries are silent but the pain is agonizing.

"Okay." Soon Gracie is rubbing my back. I know she means the best but all I want right now is to be left alone. It's my first day back at work since last week and it's more painful than I thought it would be.

Regaining my composure, I sit up and wipe my eyes.

"Did you need my help with something?" I ask, trying to sound as nice as possible.

"No, no." Graciela walks back to the front of my desk. "Somebody called though and asked for you to call this number. I wanted to tell you earlier but I could tell you weren't feeling well. Allegra I think her name was."

My eyes widen. "Allegra Stevenson?"

"Yeah, that's her."

"Thanks." I take the post-it from Gracie and she heads out of my office, closing my door behind her.

I slowly dial the 800 number.

Thank you for calling the King County Jail, located in Seattle, Washington, an automated message says. I breathe out, hopeful yet apprehensive. Please stay on the line for the next available clerk.

I'm on hold for over 30 minutes when a raspy women's voice greets me.

"Who are you calling for?" she demands.

"Um," I say, flustered. "Lucas... Lucas Stevenson."

"Remain on the line."

15 minutes later, I hear Lucas' voice.

"Hello?"

I break down in tears. My entire body is convulsing and I can barely breath.

"Baby," Lucas says. "It's okay. It's going to be okay."

The words he's saying aren't processing. All I can think about is how much I miss him and if what they're saying in the media is really true.

By the time I calm down, a good five minutes has passed.

"You still there?" Lucas asks when my breathing slows down.

I nod then realize that he can't see me. "Yes," I whisper.

"I miss you baby," Lucas says.

"I miss you too," I whisper. For some reason, whispering is all I can manage.

There's a long pause before I speak again. "They're saying so much in the news about you. Is it true?"

There's another pause before Lucas answers. "I can't talk about the case on the phone babe. But I want you to come visit me. I can tell you more in person."