Chapter 5

Chantelle's POV

I drop my bag onto my couch and plop down. Today was an incredibly long day. Three staff writers got offers from People and we're slowly becoming understaffed. As a result, I'm helping Sandra organize a hiring event.

I fire up my laptop and start designing a flyer for our event. 20 minutes later, I'm heading to the kitchen to find something to eat. I hear you some left over pasta from last night before taking a seat at my dining table.

As I'm digging into my pasta, I look through the window to see Lucas heading down to the laundromat. I immediately jump up and run to my bedroom. There's no dirty laundry for me to do but I need an excuse to talk to Lucas. There's something about him that's really drawing me in.

I grab all the underwear out of my top two drawers and throw them in my laundry basket. After grabbing some quarters and detergent, I run down to the laundromat.

When I get outside the door, I take a deep breath and fix my hair. A moment later, I'm opening the laundromat door. Lucas looks up from his phone and immediately smiles at me.

Those eyes. Maybe that's what's drawing me in.

"Hi," I say weakly.

"Hey," he smiles. "How are you?"

"I'm well. No tickets. How are you?"

"Good." He nods at my laundry basket. "Underwear day?"

I feel my face get hot. "Something like that."

"Don't feel shy about it." He smiles a little. "That's pretty cute actually."

I blush even more then start a washing machine. "You want a pair?" That came out of nowhere. I want to facepalm myself for my stupidity. I've never been particularly good at flirting.

At the same time, part of me is being serious. His response will tell me whether or not he's as interested in me as I am in him.

"Mm. How about dinner first? Then we can talk about your underwear."

I laugh then look at him. He laughs too. He is definitely as nervous, but serious as I am.

"Okay," I say. "To dinner. I'd love to go out with you."

I again want to palm myself in the face for sounding so desperate. Get a grip Chantelle.

"Do you like Mexican food?" he asks genuinely.

"Yeah," I smile. "I love Mexican food." I drop the rest of my underwear into the machine.

"How about Friday night?" Lucas asks. "I can pick you up."

I smile. "Sure. I'd like that." I'm getting ready to leave when I think to ask him for his number.

"Can I... Can I get your number?" I ask nervously. "In case something comes up I mean." I'm not usually this awkward but this man is making me feel some type of way.

He smiles his dazzling smile and we trade numbers.

"Okay," I walk towards the laundry room door. "I'll see you Friday Lucas." I open the door and he calls after me.

"You dropped something." He bends down to the floor and picks up my favorite pink thong.

I can't help but feel a little naughty. "You can keep it."