\ 9 - 1 /

[🌼] ------------------- |•| ------------------- [🌼]

Bonnie had purpled back up and was breathing nornally, and then he started waking up in his seat and stretching. He startled when he realized we were still in the car driving to trans-Canada.

   "It's ok, Bonnie, it's ok." I put my hand on his chest so he could stop breathing faster.

   "Where are we!?" he asked with red eyes.

   "Bonnie, it's me: Freddy. We're driving to Mont-Tremblant, remember?" I explained with my sight on the road.

   "Oh." He put his hand on his forehead like dusting it off. "I forgot it. I guess that temperature made me forget what happened last night."

   "Don't worry about that. You ok?"

   "My head hurts," he was saying with his ears droopy.

   Then I opened the glove compartment and took out a packet of cookies I found after midnight; there were other kind of sweets too.

   "Here, have some."

   He took the cookies and started eating slowly. Seeing him like that reminded me to those days we used to play those cute, little games of Ivy's: he always had to study the whole pack, find the flap and pull it downwards to open it and take towards his snout a little bit of the product; he did it as slow as if he didn't want his baby teeth to break or his lips stained with chocolate. I was the one who used to bring the food since he always felt scared of being seen by a human outside. Now that the two of us have lived different nightmares, we can learn from them and get ourselves out of trouble the best we can.

   "Can I drive too?" he asked while chewing.

   "What? Are you sure?"

   "Sure! I'm not quite sure how to do it, but I want you to sleep as well; your eyes are so red." He caressed my temple.

   I chuckled quietly, but I did actually want to sleep for a while; the times I remembered something about Mangle made my eyes feel like fire. Driving is not that hard, but it was a worse work to be awake.

   "If I weren't that sleepy and we didn't have to drive around four thousand miles I'd tell you that you leave it to me, but this time I'll let you give me a hand."

   Then I explained to him the way he had to step on the pedals, move the wheel, look at his surroundings, have a measure of the car, etc. I gotta say it was easier for me to explain this kind of stuff in a smaller car than in an enormous truck. Bonnie seemed excited to learn, but once he tried to handle the car by his own he realized it wasn't so easy to accelerate and lift his foot up from the pedal fluently; nothing that a little practice can't fix. During the time he was driving I couldn't get any sleep, for I wanted to make sure he understood everything I taught him so he could keep us from killing us in the middle of the road. When he achieved it, I could sleep

*    *    *

I woke up after a while, but I pretended that I was still asleep to see where we were; I could see nothing but pines with snow and the dawn coming up from behind them. I didn't see Bonnie, because I was laid down in the passenger seat in a way that I had my back at him.

   That dream got me back to The Storyteller and the restaurant Mangle used to work at at the same time, which was really close to the one we were heading to. Maybe when she and I had to leave the restaurant to go to Whistler, she didn't get to carry all the stuff she wanted besides Bruno's picture. I'm sure many of the things she gave me are still in the restaurant, I wouldn't buy the fact that everything fit into her back; she didn't even unpacked many things from her when she was with us. I felt like we had to go back and get all that stuff that meant so much for her. I opened a little more my eyes to read some of the sign around that showed us some places' names: they were in French, which meant that we were already in Quebec. Maybe it wasn't too late yet. I growled a little like I always do when waking up and talked to Bonnie; I could tell by his eyes that he also cried.