Letter

As time went by the Scout Regiment started prepping for a trip to Shinganshina. The goal of the trip was to get to the basement, that Eren said would give them answers. Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Connie, Sasha, Christa, Ymir, Reiner and Bertholdt had all joined the scouts as well. Annie had chosen to go to the military police.

Cori wanted to write Annie a letter. On the mission Levi's Squad was to be in the center of the formation. Cori was to be there last line of defense. Everyone in the squad was told to value Eren's life above their own. If something were to happen to the other squad members Cori would have to make the choice to fight or take Eren and run. She knew there was a possibility that she wouldn't make it back. They didn't give much detail but the way they worded everything made it seem as if there was some bigger threat.

She sat at the dinner table thinking. She wasn't planning on making this a last goodbye but since they were in different regiments they were going to see each other less. Cori nearly gave up, did Annie even need a letter? If she wanted to see Cori she would've come to the scouts right? Cori groaned. This is why she didn't like feelings. Eren walked in from seemly nowhere. "Cori you should be getting some sleep," he said taking a seat next to her. She waved him off. He looked at the paper and started reading allowed. "Dear Annie, I want you to know that-," Cori smacked him. "Ow!" he exclaimed. "Shush I don't need Levi getting on my ass. Go to sleep titan boy," Cori said.

Eren got up at the mention of Levi and went down to the basement. She sat there for a little while long before she began scribbling things down.

Dear Annie,

So you chose the military police? I don't blame you for wanting to take it easy. Well anyway I'm going on a scouting mission. I can't say much but there's a good chance I won't make it back. I just wanted you to know that I love you. There I said it. I hope the military police is treating you well, if not I'll kick their asses.

-Cori Otterlin

Cori reread it and found it a bit sappy but she didn't really care. She got up and handed the letter to a still awake Levi who promised he would give it to a messenger in the morning.

***

A letter? Hitch had woken her up saying that she had been sent a letter. From Reiner? The scouting mission was tomorrow and she had to ready herself. If everything went well they would get Eren and go back home.

Annie took the letter from Hitch and gasped when she saw it was from Cori. Its true Annie had been running from her problems. Ever since Marco died the guilt just kept piling up. That was part of the reason she joined the military police.

She shooed Hitch away and opened the letter. There Annie read Cori's neat writing. She stopped when she read "I love you." Annie had truly gotten herself into quite the pickle. Its not that she didn't love Cori because she certainly did, but rather that by loving Cori she couldn't just do everything she needed to. And when the time came what was she supposed to do? Leave Cori? She was so conflicted. Just focus on what's in front of you.

Annie neatly folded the paper. She would write a response, Cori deserved that. She wanted to convey to Cori that she cared for her and to tell her not to die. The letter probably wasn't going to make it till after the mission, so Annie just prayed Cori wouldn't die. What am I thinking of course she won't. Cori could handle the titans, Annie just had to make sure she didn't kill Cori.

Annie finished writing and folded the paper, placing it inside an envelope. "Who's it for a boyfriend?!" Hitch asked. Annie rolled her eyes, "Something like that." She made her way to the messengers rooms and told them to send it as soon as possible. Annie then got ready for police duty. Just don't die Cori. Just don't die.