Ocean

Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Cori, Jean, Connie, Sasha, Annie, Levi and Hange were all riding out to the edge of the island to see the ocean.

Armin was particularly excited. They rode on their horses enjoying the scenery now that the titans were gone. It was a lot of work but they had managed it.

Soon they were met with sand and the small wall were people were transformed came in sight. They rode past that until they were met with the sea.

It was as blue of the sky and it sparkled with the sunlight. It reminded Cori of Annie's eyes.

She got off her horse and slowly approached the water. Armin took off his boots and Cori followed, rolling her pants up as well. She waded into the water. It was cold but it felt refreshing.

Annie appeared next to her. "Nice isn't it?" Cori nodded. Hange seemed fascinated with the water. Levi on the other hand was suspicious and was perfectly content with staying on land.

Sasha and Connie were trying to push Jean into the water and they were all wet.

Armin had picked something up and Cori walked over to see what it was. It was white and in a shape Cori couldn't really describe. It looked beautiful.

Armin caught her looking over his shoulder and smiled. She smiled in return. They heard the sounds of someone struggling to get into the water and turned to see Mikasa. She was holding her boots and her scarf was wrapped around her as always. She gave them a smile and they smiled back.

"See Eren. A body of water filled with more salt than merchants could get in a lifetime!" Armin said.

"Yeah," Eren said. "Beyond the wall," Armin started. "Is ocean and beyond that ocean is freedom right? That's what I always thought. But I was wrong. All that lies there are enemies." He paused. "Everything is here is like my father's memories, like what Annie said."

His back was to them and he was staring at the horizon. He pointed a hand towards the general direction of Marley. "If we kill every last one of them, will we finally be free?"

Just like that the mood dropped. It was as though something had clicked in Cori. Since finding the basement to now she had remained slightly optimistic but when Eren spoke it was like all hope she had vanished. Like she was seeing things for how they were. It was them, the people of Paradise against the world.

She looked down at the water. Such beauty. It really should be a crime for such beautiful things to occur in this shitty world.

She slowly walked out of the water and had a seat. Soon the others followed. Armin was the only one still in the water, like he was trying not to let Eren's mood ruin his. Eventually, though he walked out, the item still in his hand. He walked to Annie, "What is this?" "A seashell," she responded. Armin nodded and looked at the shell.

They all walked back to the horses and began their ride back. Armin took the shell with him.

When they arrived back the mood was still demolished but it was better. The entire ride had been in silence.

Cori was thinking. She went into her room and just tried to wrap her head around it all. No one on Paradise had anything to do with what happened years ago to Marleyans but they still hated them.

Her door opened and Annie walked in. She wrapped her hands around Cori's waist and buried her face in the nape of Cori's neck. She could sense Cori's mood change.

"Why do Marleyans hate us?" Cori asked. "I don't know," Annie responded, drawing circles into Cori's back with her index finger. "We were just taught to hate you." "And now what do you think?"

Annie sat up and grabbed Cori's chin. "We were taught everyone on this island was a devil. It was deep seated and I'm not sure anything could change their opinion," she paused. "But I fell in love with you. I fell in love with a devil, and it was the best thing that's ever happened to me."

Cori leaned in and kissed Annie. It was soft kiss, full of love. "I'm thinking of cutting my hair," Cori said. Annie looked at her. "I think you'd look good with short hair," she said. "Good."

Annie laid on her back and Cori followed. Annie put her head in Cori's chest and Cori wrapped her arms around Annie. The two closed their eyes and fell asleep.