✮ 𝟎𝟐𝟎 ✮

the helicarriers and bucky's thoughts

WHEN Marlene finally found the defended mind of Bucky Barnes, she opened her eyes to see people shooting at Sam and Steve. Her eyes widened as she quickly pulled the face changer off (it was a security thing), and she flew into the air.

"God, Marls," Sam called, "We've been calling you for five minutes!"

"Sorry!" she squeaked. "I found Bucky. He's close!"

"Where?" Steve asked as she sent her Mind Stone powers at some guards shooting at her.

"Not sure yet. He's not in control again," she whispered. "I'll let you know."

She caught Steve's eyes as he jumped onto thr first helicarrier. "Just stay out of the fighting. Your not as strong from that bullet wound."

"Aye aye, Cap," she said in a sarcastic tone as she entered the minds of the people around her to lower their weapons on Sam.

Fury had tried to get Marlene to enter everyone's heads who worked for Hydra to have them end the launch, but she was not strong enough to do something like that. It was something she wanted to work on—taking down armies with one look. If she could do that, she would be invincible. Her friends would be safe.

"Falcon, status?" Hill asked.

"Engaging. Hey, Witchy-Witch, come and get the fliers off my tail!" Sam called as he flew down to the helicarrier bay.

Marlene flew by, going into the heads of the fliers to have them stop shooting. "Go!"

"All right, Cap, I'm in," he said. "Shit! You missed one!"

Marlene felt a large headache coming on. "I'm trying!"

She sent a blast of her powers at the jet tailing Sam, and he raised his hand to give her a thumbs up as he went back inside.

"Eight minutes, Cap," Hill declared.

"Working on it." Steve paused before saying, "Alpha locked." One down.

"Falcon, where are you now?"

"I had to take a detour!" Sam called sarcastically. "I'm in. Bravo locked. Marlene, any sign of Bucky?"

Marlene turned when explosions happened below. She could see Bucky getting into a small jet.

"I have eyes on him," she called. "Worry about the helicarrier."

Hill agreed, "Two down, one to go. Charlie Carrier's forty-five degrees off the port bow. Six minutes."

Marlene flew off to follow Bucky to the third hellicarrier. When he landed, he noticed her presence behind him. After getting out, he turned with a glare that would have killed her. He cocked his gun, tilting his head sideways.

"You know you can't beat me," she said softly as she walked forward. She took out her earpiece when the others were talking too loud. "I just want to talk. Just for a moment."

Bucky did not move. He stayed very still as his eyes watched her grow nearer to him.

She felt his defenses shaking as she tried to get in his head. Taking a deep breath, she rose her hand steadily to reach his face when they were close enough. "Can I?" she asked, watching his hand twitch. He was fighting against killing her. He really was.

Very subtly, he nodded.

Marlene smiled, letting her fingertips rest on his left temple. His defenses fell as she entered his mind. Her eyes glowed blue, and Bucky watched how alluring the blue was before his own eyes fell shut.