✮ 𝟎𝟒𝟒 ✮

scotch tape?

MARLENE watched as the side of the pod was ripped off due to Peter's reckless piloting—not that she would tell him that, of course. She was in awe despite being in Ego's planet's center. It was quite beautiful in its own way. Turning back to Rocket she narrowed her eyes at the ball-like middle that everything was connected to.

"There!" Marlene said. "That must be Ego's core."

"That core is thick, Rocket," Peter called.

Marlene was about to fly out when Rocket rose a hand to stop her. "I got it covered."

Mantis seemed uneasy as she watched the surroundings. "We must hurry. It will not take Ego long to find us."

Rocket flipped some switches, pointing one of the large rays at the core. He narrowed his eyes as he said, "Keep it steady."

"We drill into the center, we kill him!" Peter yelled as Rocket began to shoot through it.

Marlene almost let the thought pass that this would be easy-peasy. That they would be out of here, and Gamora could explain Thanos's plan better—perhaps even get a cent or two from Nebula. She thought she could get back to Thor with no problems, knowing he was incredibly worried since she had yet to check in on him. All of these blissful thoughts were ruined by Kraglin's cracking voice on the transmitter in the next few moments.

"Captain?"

"What is it, Kraglin?" Yondu asked.

"Hey, remember that Ayesha chick?"

"Yeah, why?" They all turned their heads to see the entire Sovereign fleet heading their way, shooting them already. "Oh, hell!"

Marlene grabbed onto Rocket's chair just as Peter had began to fly away from the fleet. Because of the twists and turns to avoid being hit again, behind Marlene, Gamora, Drax, and Mantis flew out of the hole in the ship. Marlene turned before saluting once at Rocket.

"Where you going?" Rocket called just as Marlene jumped from the ship as well. As her powers began, she sent rays of blue and yellow lights as ships as she fell, smirking when the fleet became smaller just by one movement of her hand.

Feeling that part of her flare again, she screamed, stopping herself from falling as she hovered and took out another set of ships.

Seeing the three who fell on safe ground, she landed softly next to Gamora as the three stared at her with wide eyes.

"Rocket said something about an upgrade?" Gamora asked light-heartedly.

"I had a meltdown, this was the result," Marlene responded with a shrug, letting the wisps of power crawl over her body as she stared at the ship still being chased by some of thr fleet. "What's the plan?"

Suddenly, all around them began to light up in the cracks of the rocks. Marlene felt herself begin to hover out of habit for feeling threats around her. She turned her head as she felt the unease come from Mantis.

"He's coming," Mantis whimpered.

"Didn't you say you could make him sleep?" Drax asked.

"When he wants. He's too powerful. I can't!" Mantis shouted.

"You don't have to believe in yourself because I believe in you," Drax lied.

Marlene was about to say somthing about the head of Ego growing right in front of them when Mantis placed her hands on the ground and said, "Sleep!"

Around them, the lights dimmed where Ego was concerned. Marlene took a deep breath as she realized Mantis would not be able to keep him asleep forever. They needed something to take him out.

"I never thought she'd be able to do it with as weak and skinny as she appears to be," Drax exclaimed with a smile toward Mantis.

"I don't know how long I can hold him!" Mantis said Marlene's thoughts.

Marlene took off, deciding to try and take out more of the fleet instead of simply staring at the problem. Using her magic, she was able to take out four ships at once. As she flew near Peter, he yelled, "Marlene! You have any tape!?"

"Tape!?" she asked back as they fought ships back-to-back. She heard Peter laugh as a ship rammed into a rock. He turned to face her as she said, "Why would I have tape, Peter!?"

"Just asking!" Peter replied before yelling, "Drax! Do you have any tape!?"

"Would sotch tape work?" Drax yelled back.

"Yeah! Scotch tape would work!"

"No, I do not have the scotch tape!"

"Then why would you ask me if scotch tape would work, if you don't have any!?" Peter screamed as he flew off again.

Marlene grinned as she sent another ship to crash into the one next to it with a flick of her wrist. Rising slightly, she landed on the nearest rock with full force. It sent waves of energy at the ships ahead of her, destroying them immediately.

Marlene hovered as Peter jumped into the ship with the Sovereign fleet surrounding it. "Guardians," a woman began, "perhaps it will provide you solace that your deaths are not without purpose. They will serve as a warning to all of those tempted with betraying us. Don't screw with the Sovereign."

Suddenly, Marlene saw the rays on the exterior of the ship move to cover the whole thing. She yelped, realizing what they planned to do. Going to the ground where Gamora and Drax were, she set up a shield in front of them as they watched the ship send red rays of lights to all of the remaining Sovereign ships.

Marlene winced as not only the Sovereign ship exploded, but the pod Yondu, Nebula, and Peter were on did, too. As the shield reflected the falling debris, she let it fall once she deemed it safe.

Gamora realized the ship had exploded, and she shouted, "Peter! No!"

It was a moment of dust until Nebula landed on the ground with a glare at them all. Her glare wavered as she looked up causing the others to do so as well. For flying down was Peter and Yondu, the latter holding his arrow like an umbrella.

Peter began to laugh, which caused Yondu to ask, "What?"

"You look like Mary Poppins," Peter shouted back.

"Is he cool?"

Peter grinned and nodded his head. "Hell yeah, he's cool."

Yondu looked down at the Guardians with a grin. "I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!"

As they landed safely, Marlene saw Rocket fly over to them. Gamora went over to Peter, which made Marlene smile softly at how much she cared for him. Turning, she had just missed Mantis being knocked out by a piece of debris.

"Shit," she murmured as Ego began to come alive again. All around them, the nerves of the planet began to glow.

"Mantis, look out!" Drax shouted even though she had already been knocked down. He walked forward and kneeled next to her. "She's just unconscious," Drax explained as he picked her up.

Peter looked at Rocket. "How long until the bomb goes off?"

Rocket did not look so sure as he said, "In the unlikely event that Groot doesn't kill us all... about six minutes."