✮ 𝟎𝟒𝟔 ✮

becoming a guardian... officially

GAMORA and Nebula explained everything they knew about Thanos and the Infinity Stones to Marlene as the Guardians of the Galaxy had no place to be right at that moment. Peter and Rocket were taking turns flying around while Kraglin was practicing the arrow that Yondu always used.

Marlene listened to everything, knowing Thanos would eventually go for the Mind Stone. "It's on Earth. He has already sent one army. He would do it again," Marlene whispered as she stood. "Has anyone ever seen the Time Stone?"

"The Time Stone is known to be on Terra as well," Nebula revealed, "but I do not know if he is aware of that yet."

"Two stones on Earth," Marlene said to herself, her worry increasing. "Okay. So, what about the Soul Stone. He can't have that, can he?"

Nebula and Gamora both shrugged. "We are not aware of his progress since we have split from his reigns," Gamora explained. "This Thor you speak of... you are returning to him?"

Marlene smirked. "Trying to get rid of me?"

"No," Gamora said with a laugh. "I just wanted to know whether you were staying. I quite enjoyed having you around."

Marlene laughed quietly. "Well, I told Thor I'd check in on him every day. I have not. Nor have I checked on Steve. I don't know what kind of trouble he can get into, but surely, it can't be all bad."

Gamora nodded. "Peter doesn't want you to go... neither does Rocket or Groot."

"They'll be fine. After all, I'm sure before this Thanos shit is over, I'll be seeing you all again," Marlene admitted. "You both being his daughters... him messing with the Avengers. He doesn't know what he's about to start."

"You mean what he's already started. You said so yourself," Nebula interrupted. "He attacked once with an alien army."

Marlene nodded as Nebula walked off. Gamora squeezed Marlene's shoulder as she followed. Marlene sat down on the nearest chair, closing her eyes and picturing Steve's mind.

When her eyes opened, she saw Steve sitting around a table with the other Avengers and a man standing ahead of them showing the alien attack from 2012. Marlene furrowed her brows just as she whispered into his head, "Steve? What's going on?"

Steve jumped, causing the other Avengers to look at him oddly. He scratched his neck before she added, "Just think of what you want to say."

"We screwed up," Steve said to her. "They want to put a leash on us in order to have control over the Avengers."

Before Marlene could ask anything else, a hand landed on her arm. She jumped, blinking and appearing back on the space ship. She turned to see Peter standing there with a sheepish smile.

"Can I sit?" he asked.

Marlene nodded as he sat across from her. He was quiet for a moment before saying, "You know, you were the first person I ever loved beside my Mom and Yondu—even if I didn't know it at the time with him," he revealed. "When you had to leave, I don't know... something changed within me. I started acting out with Yondu before going off on my own. I was a thief really, and that's how I met these guys. And I met Gamora. I didn't think I'd love anyone again, but I think our love was different from the way I feel about Gamora. Is that stupid to say to you?"

"No," Marlene said with a small smile, reaching over to grab his hand. "I loved you, too. In that different way."

He laughed. "Right. And I know you're going to leave, but I can't help but want you to selfishly stay. Not because I still love you that way, but... I care about you. What you're planning on doing with Thanos... you're going to get yourself killed. I want to be able to protect you."

"It isn't selfish," Marlene disagreed, "but I have people I need to get back to. Thor is only one of them. I have my own guy that I love, too , you know."

"Right. Steve," Peter said with a scoff. "Who's better looking? Me or him?"

"God, Pete," Marlene laughed as she shoved his hand away. "Steve is very attractive."

"You're right. He's Captain America. Who can compete with that hunk?" Peter said before both burst out laughing. Their smiles fell naturally as Peter added, "I'll miss you. Rocket might miss you more though. You've really made an impression on him."

Marlene smiled softly. "I'll miss you all, too."

As Marlene prepared to find Thor, Rocket called her name out. The other Guardians watched Rocket fumble over his words before he said, "You need to watch yourself wherever the hell it is you're going. I won't be around to help."

"What am I gonna do without you?" Marlene teased, crouching to hug him. "Thanks for everything, Rocket. You helped me upgrade and all that."

"And don't you forget it!" Rocket said, trying to mask his emotions.

Marlene hugged Mantis before hugging Drax. "You must be careful on your journeys, Savior. I know you are powerful, but your body still looks small and weak."

"Thanks, Drax," Marlene said with a scoff before grabbing Groot from his shoulder. "You watch your language, mister," she scolded the tree. "When I come back, Rocket better not tell me you've gotten worse."

"I am Groot."

"He says Rocket just won't tell you," Drax said with a loud laugh.

"I am Groot."

"He says you're now a Guardian of the Galaxy, too," Rocket admitted. "He's not wrong." Marlene felt her heart burst at the sweetness of it all.

Giving Groot back to Drax, she awkwardly shook hands with Nebula before hugging Gamora. "Take care of him," she whispered to the beautiful woman. "He needs you."

Gamora smiled. "I will."

Marlene saw Peter clench his fist as she hugged him. "Don't cry on me, Quill."

"No, no. You can't call me that," Peter said. "It's Peter to you. Just like it's Marlene to me. Not Galactic Savior. Not Savior. Not Weapon. Not Gal. You're Marlene from Sakaar."

Marlene laughed as she backed away, wiping a tear from her face. "I owe a lot to you," she said.

"I'm keeping a list," Peter said as she turned.

Using her magic, she felt her body allowing the blue and yellow energy to spark. Thinking of Thor, she let her hands move in a circular way before a portal formed. Without wasting a second, she clutched the bag Rocket gave her and stepped into the portal.

When the portal shut behind her, Drax exclaimed, "She was a nice woman."

"She was," Gamora agreed. "What'd you put in her bag, Rocket?"

"Some explosives and other weapons. Some food. Oh, yeah, and my favorite gun," Rocket admitted. "You never know, her powers could shut down. It's always nice to have a gun."

Peter laughed, ruffling Rocket's fur on his head. "You totally liked her."

"So what?" Rocket challenged.

"So nothing? It's good you made another friend to put up with your bullshit," Peter said as they walked to the pilot chairs.

"Don't be a dick, cry-baby. Sad your old lover is gone?" Rocket teased as they sat down.

Gamora sighed. "Both of you stop it. Where are we going?"

"To find another part of the galaxy to save," Rocket answered with a smirk.