✮ 𝟎𝟐𝟔 ✮

clint's plastic skin that'll fool his girlfriend

CLINT was pushed off the jet immediately when they landed to get his side fixed. Marlene stayed back as the other Avengers followed. Tony turned from the pilot's chair to see Maria Hill walked forward.

"Lab's all set up, boss," she said, typing something on her tablet. She smiled softly at Marlene, but Marlene did not return it as she began to walk off the jet.

"Uh, actually, he's the boss," Tony said about Steve, "I just pay for everything, and design everything and make everyone look cooler."

Steve ran forward to grab Marlene's arm so she did not run off. Keeping her in step with Hill and himself, he asked, "What's the word on Strucker?"

"NATO's got him."

"The two enhanced?" Steve asked, grimacing when Marlene shoved him away, crossing her arms over her chest to hear what Hill had to say about the only other family she had ever known.

Maria Hill did not know about the tiff in Sokovia. She said, "Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins. Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building. Sokovia's had a rough history. It's nowhere special but it's on the way to everywhere special."

Steve nodded, glad Marlene was following him to the elevator. "Their abilities?"

"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neural electric interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation." Steve looked at her in confusion. "He's fast and she's weird. Kinda like Marlene here... no offense."

Steve watched Marlene smile tightly at the agent. "Well, they're going to show up again," Steve said.

"Agreed. File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts."

"Is it?" Marlene defended without realizing. "Maybe they had a reason."

Steve placed a hand on her back, rubbing softly. "Right. What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?" he defended them as well.

"We're not at war, Captain," Hill said, finally noticing the tension.

"They are," Steve finished, stepping into the elevator with Marlene and watching it close.

"You didn't have to defend them," she whispered, moving as far away from him as she could. Steve did not like that, so he gently walked forward. "Steve."

Steve nodded, placing a hand on her cheek before letting it slide under to her chin. He lifted her face to meet his. He kissed her once. "I know you, Marlene. You have a big heart. You didn't mean for Clint to get hit. It was the first time seeing Pietro since he let you go. I need you to tell me what he said, if you don't mind me asking."

Marlene closed her eyes as a tear left one. "He told me he was upset I was with Tony since a Stark bomb was the one to kill his parents. He said he wished he never let me go... because then I would be on their side. He missed me. God, I missed him, Steve. He hugged me, and I felt like everything was all right... just for a moment," she whispered as the elevator opened the floor Clint was on. Steve did not let her go far as she walked out.

He kissed her again. "They care about you. Their views are askew because of everything Hydra put in them. We'll get them back. For you, I'd do the same... just like you helped Bucky."

Marlene nodded as he kissed her forehead. He went back into the elevator as she hesitantly walked to the lab.

"You sure he's going to be okay? Pretending to need this guy really brings the team together," Natasha said with a light-hearted chuckle.