✮ 𝟎𝟑𝟑 ✮

fighting robots today

"ULTRON knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace, and that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done, and find out what Ultron's been building. We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters and we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right," Steve said as the Avengers gathered on the Quinjet.

When they landed in Sokovia, Marlene was astonished at how much she missed this place. It was her first real home. Gulping, she felt Wanda squeeze her hand reassuringly.

Tony flew off immediately with Vision following. Pietro sped off to get the police involved while Wanda and Marlene were left to begin getting into the minds of the Sokovians to get them to evacuate the city. Bruce went off to find Natasha while Clint and Steve stuck close to Wanda and Marlene's side. Thor went to find Ultron with Tony.

"Your man's in the church, boss. I think he's waiting for you," Tony's new AI, Friday, spoke in the comms.

As Marlene helped people get out of the city, she could hear the conversation between Ultron and Tony.

"Come to confess your sins?" Ultron sneered.

"I don't know, how much time you got?"

"More than you."

Tony hesitated before saying, "Uhhh. Have you been juicing? A little Vibranium cocktail? You're looking, I don't wanna say, puffy—"

"You're stalling to protect the people."

"Well, that is the mission. Did you forget?" Tony asked.

"I've moved beyond your mission. I'm free. What, you think you're the only one stalling?"

Suddenly, Steve's eyes widened as robots appeared around them, attacking immediately.

"There's the rest of the Vibranium. Function: still unclear," Friday said.

"This is how you end, Tony. This is peace in my time," Ultron finished.

Steve began to run and help deflect the robots away from the people. "Go!" he yelled to those on the bridge.

"Get off the bridge! Run!" Wanda shouted as Marlene began to fly higher before landing abruptly and sending blue energy waves at the robots in front of a group of civilians.

When the robots shorted out, she yelled at the civilians, "Off the bridge!"

"Friday! The Vision?" Tony yelled.

"Boss, it's working. He's burning Ultron out of the net, he won't escape through there," Friday answered.

Ultron's voice was angry. "You shut me out! You think I care? You take away my world, I take away yours."

When Marlene landed on the ground, she immediately regretted it as the entirety of Sokovia began to shake. The ground cracked around them, and Marlene realized the city was being detached from the Earth. Flying over to the Sokovian side, she yelled for the people to move from the cracked Earth. When one person began to fall from the cliff, Marlene jumped off with him, grabbing his hand and placing him on the ground with a sigh. Flying back into the air where Sokovia was still rising, she could hear Ultron in her comms.

"Do you see? The beauty of it, the inevitability. You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword and the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."