✮ 𝟎𝟓𝟑 ✮

the first fight of thanos

THOR and Loki rushed to the main area, watching as Marlene and Heimdall prepared to fight the new threat. Marlene frowned, yearning for a break—a moment to breathe. As she shut her eyes, she searched for a mind to read aboard the newest ship, and though she had gone through about ten minds, she finally landed on one she dreaded.

Opening her eyes, blue met yellow as she stared shakily at Heimdall, "It's him. It's Thanos." Marlene became alight with her powers as she then looked to the Hulk, "You wait until we call you." She turned to Valkyrie and Korg, "Get these people out of here!" Creating a portal to a random city on Earth, she knew she would not be able to hold it long enough for everyone—especially if she had to fight. Everyone looked to Thor, the man visibly worried.

"Listen to her. Go!" Thor commanded as he watched Valkyrie and Korg go through the portal first to guide the people. "Why is he here?"

"Don't know. I can't keep this open long," Marlene strained.

Thor looked at Heimdall and Loki. "I suppose we'll hold them off."

The ship began firing canons to the Asgardian ship to break the engines and weapons. A man tried to call out using the PA system on the ship. "Our crew is made up of Asgardian families, we have very few soldiers here. This is not a warcraft. I repeat, this is not a warcraft!"

Marlene grunted as the ship was blasted again. Seeing only about half of the Asgardians gone through the portal, she felt others joining the ship. Thanos's army flew in with rage and malice as they began to slay the remaining Asgardians. Marlene felt a tear leave her eye as she closed the portal before one of them went onto Earth. She felt terrible, but she could not let anyone in Thanos's army onto Earth that easily.

Flying up, she began to fight to try and protect the Asgardians as much as she could with Heimdall and the brothers. Marlene sneered as a squidward-like alien (thanks, Tony Stark, for making her watch Spongebob) began to fight Heimdall. Gulping, she watched Heimdall be knocked to the ground easily. Marlene stood above him with a glare at the alien. She sent blast after blast as she also tried to send shields. It was overwhelming. Asgardians were dying. Thor was fighting. Loki was fighting. Marlene felt weak for the first time since Ultron.

The Ebony Maw threw a piece of debris at her, knocking her aside as he called, "Hear me, and rejoice. You have had the privilege of being saved by the Great Titan. You may think this is suffering... no. It is salvation. Universal scales tip toward balance because of your sacrifice. Smile... for even in death, you have become Children of Thanos."

Marlene shoved the debris back to the alien, missing him by mere inches as she stood shakily. Loki was standing as Thor was being held down by other aliens. Marlene met Loki's eyes, and he sent her a reassuring look that had her go into his thoughts.

"It's my fault," Loki thought. "Let me handle it."

Marlene nodded as Thanos showed himself. She crouched near Heimdall, trying to help him sit up. He pushed her off with a shake of his head, whispering, "This is my time, our Savior. Your time is far from here."

Thanos walked close to Thor. "I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail, nonetheless." He picked up Thor by his breast plate. Marlene rose her hands, ready to save him if Loki did not hurry. "It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say... I am."

Lifting his hand, he showed the Power Stone in the Infinity Gauntlet. Marlene tried to call for it, but she was suddenly grabbed from behind. As she was held, Thanos laughed at her.