✮ 𝟎𝟒𝟎 ✮

marlene's snap of personality

ROCKET had grown fond of Marlene despite his original thought to turn her in for the bounty. She was handy when helping him fix the ship, and she enjoyed the songs on Quill's mixtapes. She was good with Groot, keeping a close eye on him to keep him from danger. Rocket hated to admit that he thought of Marlene as a friend now.

Which is why when he was setting up the traps for the inevitability that someone came to attack them, despite Quill's thoughtless saying that no one would come, he paused in his work to look at her—really look at her.

"Hey, Gal," he called. "When the Sovereign fleet or whoever finds us," he said as if he knew it was coming, "don't use your powers."

"What? Why?" she asked with wide eyes.

"Because then they'll know who you are. That means they'll take you. Quill'll be upset if you go missing," Rocket said absentmindedly.

"You mean you'll miss me," Marlene teased, using a screwdriver to tighten a bolt on the outer layer of the ship. Groot laughed. "See? Groot agrees."

"Just promise me you won't."

"Not right away," she bargained. "If things head south, then I will."

"Fine."

And so, like Rocket predicted, someone found the Milano that night. Marlene was in the ship as Rocket had not-so-kindly asked, watching Nebula sleep (maybe?) and Groot stare outside in fear. A song was playing on the ship as usual, and she felt herself wanting to go protect Rocket no matter how serious he was in his request for her to stay out of it. Hell, when had she ever stayed out of a fight? Marlene took a deep breath just as she heard the sound of one of the traps going off and a loud gun shot in the air.

Nebula sat up with a start as she glared at Marlene.

"What is happening?" Nebula asked her.

"I think Rocket's friends finally showed up," Marlene whispered.

"Are you going to help him?" Nebula said.

Suddenly, Marlene saw two separate groups of men flying in the air as if it was a game. Her lips twitched at the thought of Rocket controlling them.

"He has it under control for now," Marlene said with her small grin widening. The sound in the background only adding to the humor of it. She saw Nebula eyeing the window with a fierce look in her eye. "Don't look excited. You're not going anywhere."

When the people stopped flying up and down, she then saw a bright electric shock going through another group of men. "Oh, I love Rocket," she murmured as Groot smiled up at her.

"I am Groot."

"I'm going to assume you agreed with me," Marlene stated with a wink toward the twig.

Once she saw Rocket flying through the air between two men, she decided to walk outside since he had run out of traps. Staying hidden in the shadows, she watched as he punched the life out of a man before standing up.

Then, she heard the sound she had not wanted to hear. It was in her memories, in her nightmares caused by Wanda before... and she found herself afraid, but she tried her best to hide it. When the red arrow flew to hit Rocket, Marlene cast herself and a shield in front of the raccoon.