Chapter 2

I ran outside quickly, so Dad wouldn't leave without me. He did that sometimes. I opened the door and he started reversing out of the crumbling cement driveway. I screamed to make him halt suddenly.

"Why do you always do that? You know I'm in heels."

I tucked my designer bag carefully next to my feet, and took out my cherry red lipstick and started applying to my dried out lips.

"You had more than half an hour, you need to learn how to dress under time pressure"

"Dad I'm a girl, not an old man on the Apprentice"

I slid my lipstick into the side of my bag so I could find it easily the next time I needed it.

~*~

The journey was only 15 minutes but it seemed like forever. My sister, Rose sat in the back seat so dad couldn't see her texting her boyfriend. My parents usually allowed relationships, but Rose had had so many, they had started to go off about the idea. I never had a boyfriend except for once, when I went on holiday to Venice, but it ended once we went home.

I turned my head so I could see Rose and Chase both sitting on their phones, staring into the light. I never understood how they spent so much time on them. I mean I have things like social media, but it isn't the world to me.

"Hey, would you be able to drive to school if the car broke down?"

"What do ya mean Bree just turn around and put on your stupid make up" Chase said, wafting his hand towards me, his eyes still focused on the screen.

"No I was just wondering, like you've never put your head up in the car so-"

Dad parked the car, and immediately a face smushed against the car window. It was Amelia. I jumped out of the car and hugged her.

"Omg the holiday seemed wayyyyy too long to not see you!!"

She seemed more hyper than usual.

"Yeah OMG, you look gorgeous"

We linked arms and walked into the school, leaving my siblings bumping into other students.