The killing curse

Heads up, this is an intense chapter. 

-

No...

Hermione's blood ran cold.

She was here in the cellar with the man who had tried to rape her.

The walls felt like they were closing in tight and Hermione had to tell herself to breath.

"And where did you go little girl?" Greyback's growl sent shivers down Hermione's spine. She held her wand tightly keeping her arm slightly behind her so that it remained out of view.

Greyback had seen the passageway, which put both her and Draco in danger. She could not allow him keep that memory. If he were to go to Voldemort with the information, it would make everything Draco had done to try and save her totally worthless and Hermione was not about to let that happen.

"That," said Hermione lifting her chin. "Is none of your concern." Even though she was nearly trembling with fear she stood and face him straight on.

"I've been waiting," he said coming forward. "For them to put you back down here," he smiled a sharp and wicked grin. "I even left a little something here to let me know when that day came just so I wouldn't miss it." He picked up a small statue and smashed it against the wall. "Won't be needing that anymore," he said grinning.

"You need to leave now," she said, having every intention of obliviating him the second he turned around if he did.

"I am not going anywhere," said Greyback. "And neither are you."

"Draco will kill you if you touch me," she said with conviction.

"Draco is upstairs dying a painful death. There is not one to stop me."

Greyback came forward.

"There is me," said Hermione and she lashed out with her wand. "Stupify."

Greyback deflected.

"You little bitch, where did you get that wand?"

"From one of your dead friends no doubt," said Hermione unsure where the sharply cruel words came from. It sounded more like something Draco would say than her.

Greyback snarled and lashed out with his wand. 

His casting was clumsy, clearly underestimating her talent. Hermione parried it easily. 

Light shot around the room as they fought. Hermione was at a disadvantage not using her own wand, but this one served her well enough. She could feel it struggle to hold and act as a conduit for her power, though it at least this wand seemed to want to help, unlike the one she had broken in the forbidden forest. It had shattered against her magic while cursing Draco. This wand was much more flexible and it bent without breaking.

The memory of the woods, of Draco in pain from her attack made her slip and she missed parrying one of the attacks. The spell hit her shoulder and she let out a cry of pain.

Greyback took that moment to launch himself forward at her and Hermione went down to the ground. Her wand went skittering away from her and across the floor.

No!

Hermione pushed with everything she had and Greyback went flying off her from the force of her wandless magic. She scrambled across the floor and grabbed hold of the wand just in time to turn and see Greyback launching himself at her again.

She raised her wand and yelled.

There were no words to the spell only fear and anger and strength. 

A great light came from her wand and Greyback flew backwards slamming into the wall with a crunch that had brick crumbling and him groaning in pain. Greyback staggered clearly dazed and his wand dropped to the ground as he reached up to his head with both hands mumbling something incoherant.

Hermione stood and brushed herself off then she went to Greyback and grabbed his wand from the ground beside him and quickly backed away.

What do I do now?

"I will kill you," said Greyback. "You wait and see, but first I'm going to have you and fuck your little cunt until you beg for death."

His words sent a spear of revulsion through her and she gagged.

How could anyone be so dark? How could anyone be so wrong and twisted and...she shuddered. If he could say things like that to her...

"How many women have you done that too before?" Hermione found herself demanding.

"I don't keep count," Greyback smiled wickedly. "But I always have the hunger for it."

He's a monster...

He will do it again.

You can't let him do it again.

You know he'll try.

You're not the only one.

She thought of all the girl that had come before her and all the women who would suffer after.

You have to protect them...

Hermione looked down at the wand in her hand.

 Greyback chuckled lowly.

Her head snapped back up at the sound.

"You will never get the chance to hurt anyone like that every again again," said Hermione and then she did something she had never thought herself capable of.

Hermione Granger uttered the killing curse.

-

It was really important to me to have Hermione save herself here. Her choice is something she will have to carry and live with, but no one else will suffer at his hands ever again.