So close and yet so far

Happy Monday everyone. Welcome back.

-

Echoes of feelings clung to Hermione's skin.

She could still feel him there next to her. Draco's gentle arms, strong around her. For that moment in her mind thanks to the bind she had felt okay again.

Now that she was back in her own body she felt sick.

The black of the curse rolled in her stomach and she fought back nausea and then thought better of trying to hold it back since each time she had vomited more of the black had been expelled from her system.

It tasted like acid coming up, yet she felt a little better almost immediately and drank down the water that had been left for her.

Emptiness settled into her and she felt less sure of what she had seen. While she had been there in the oasis with Draco she had been sure it was him...now...how was she supposed to know what was real and what wasn't?

"It was real," she told herself. It had to be real. She had felt him there.

"I'll keep my promise." Draco's words fluttered back to her.

What promise did he mean? He had told her he would try and stay with her, but that didn't feel like what he was talking about, his words had seemed too...sad.

Why was he so sad?

The noise outside reminded Hermione of why she had been yanked away from the vision of the oasis.

Disappointed, at having been pulled away, Hermione got up. Her legs left a little stronger than when she had woken just a few minutes ago. Slipping outside her own tent she followed the  voices across a small grassy courtyard coming to stand just outside another in long line of tents.

 Her hand was inches away from pulling the tent flap back when words she heard stopped her in place.

"We have to go save Hermione and Draco," it was Fred's voice.

How long have I been unconscious? She wondered.

Fred was supposed to come for them on Friday. Surely she hadn't been out of it for that long?

"No we don't," Ron's voice shot back.

"You don't have to like him, but we need to go," said Fred.

Hermione felt a little flicker of pride in her chest at Fred's words.

It was nice to feel like someone else knew, and understood.

He doesn't know it all thought, she thought.

It doesn't matter, she answered herself back. Fred had obviously seen something worth saving in Draco and that was enough for now.

"We already saved her," snapped Ron.

There was a pause.

"When?" asked Fred, surprise evident in his voice.

"Yesterday morning," answered Harry's voice.

That tells me how long I've been out for them, she thought and reached for the tent flap and peeking inside. The group was facing entirely away from her, yet she had no difficulty distinguishing each person in the circle.

For a moment she hesitated. She knew she was eves dropping and that she should make herself known, but something was compelling her to just listen. So despite her noblest intentions she remained hidden.

"Well, good," said Fred. "I'm glad you got her. That doesn't change the bit about rescuing Draco. What you don't know," protested Fred. "Is there is this bind that you-know-who put on them." Fred explained. "He can torture Draco until he leads the Death eaters right to him, and that wouldn't be his fault."