Proof

Hello lovely readers, this one is a nice long one for you. Hope you enjoy.

-

Draco stood looking at the person pretending to be the woman he loved. His wand pressed to her throat while she stood motionless, eyes closed, waiting for him to believe what she was saying.

But what she's saying is impossible, Draco shook his head mentally.

He wanted to hope.

He wanted to believe.

It was reckless and wrong to entertain such thoughts.

I can't lose her again, I won't survive.

Narcissa, who had been downstairs just moments before, appeared at the door wand raised at the ready.

"What's wrong? I heard yelling," she said as she took in the scene before her and then her eyes darkened landing on Hermione.

Hermione's imposter's own eyes shot open at his mother's voice. Only seconds ago she had looked so calm and peaceful, now she backed up several steps raising her wand in the guard position facing Narcissa.

A part of Draco's mind tried to argue that was proof that she was a fake...until he noticed she was still leaving herself completely vulnerable to any attack from Draco.

I could just take out the imposter now...

There was nothing stopping him. There was no way that she could block him if he tried.

Why leave herself open like that?

"You," Narcissa twisted her wand angrily. "You let them torture him."

"I didn't, I swear I didn't know. I was unconscious," the answer was pleading and apologetic at the same time.

"A likely story," Narcissa stepped further into the room, closer to Draco, maneuvering in order to get the upper hand and protect her son at the same time.

"It's true!" Hermione protested. "When I took the curse from Draco it nearly killed me. I was in a coma for days."

A pounding begin in Draco's temple.

It couldn't be true. She couldn't be alive...could she?

You saw her die...

I saw her stop moving, the hopeful part of him said quietly. I was knocked off the bed before I had a chance to check for a pulse.

She took a curse that was killing you, his mind argued back. And it killed her. Think about what Ron said.

What Ron said...

Draco paused.

Ron had not said that Hermione was dead...he had said Draco would never see her again.

"And how exactly did you take the curse from him? Hmmm?" asked Narcissa clearly not believing a word the younger witch was saying.

Draco felt something burning deep inside his chest.

"She took it through the bind," Draco found himself saying the words without thinking they simply tumbled out of his mouth.

"Yes," said Hermione, her eyes darting towards him. She looked back to Narcissa quickly "I went inside Draco and I pulled the curse out and took it myself."

"And why would you do that?" snapped Narcissa. "Why aren't you dead instead?"

"She did die," said Draco. "This isn't the real Hermione." The words didn't sound right coming out of his mouth. The logical part of his mind told him that what he was saying was true.