Lucius

The Brandy snifter in Lucius Malfoy's hand was full far past the point of being socially acceptable. It had been refilled several time already and the amber liquid sloshed to side with each step he took. The thick leather bound volumes on the shelf seemed to blur before Lucius eyes and he stumbled towards the fireplace and collapsed in his chair spilling several drops onto the deep burgundy carpeting. He never read them, they were just for decoration. Lucius, like ever Malfoy before him for the last several centuries, had inherited his money. He hadn't needed to work to get it, he had only needed to marry and produce and heir to ensure the line continue. Now that line was coming to an end.

"My son..." he slurred. He tried to focus on the flames. 

His vision was bleary. 

What was to become of Lucius legacy? 

He had put so much time and work into the boy. 

Yet another investment that hadn't paid out. 

His mind drifted back to Narcissa and the wasted Phoenix tears. She knew how much they were worth! If they had saved Draco it would have been worth it, but it was a stupid thing to do. Phoenix tears were for healing wounds not canceling curses.

"My wife..." he muttered angrily and took a sip. 

There would be no more children from her. 

She had made that clear years ago. 

Without her he could only have bastard children and the pure-bloods would not recognize them in the same way. 

A bastard Malfoy would still be considered 'one-of-them' but would be relegated permanently to the lower echelons of good society and Lucius couldn't allow that to happen to the Malfoy name.

He threw the glass at the fire place and the brandy exploded in blue flame.

She, His WIFE, had yelled at him and told him to get out. 

How dare she speak to him how she had! He was a Malfoy, he deserved better. 

He was better, Lucius chin lifted with the thought.

Narcissa had always known her place, at his side, supporting him. She had always done well and held that place with dignity and decorum.

Not now.

It's because you've fallen so low, a dark voice whispered in his ear.

If you hadn't failed then Draco wouldn't have been called upon to serve.

It's not my fault, he protested, Draco failed on his own.

He's been failing for years coming in second to that filly bitch of a mudblood, Lucius told himself. It's not your fault. You did everything you could to fix him.

And now he's bound to her.

Not for long...

"No," Lucius protested out loud and he went to the crystal cabinet that housed his liquor and poured out another glass. He took a great swig of the liquor and coughed as it burned going down the wrong pipe.

"Don't move," came a voice from behind him.

"What?"

Lucius turned and a spell slammed into his chest.

-

Snape stood looking at Hermione. She was frozen with her wand extended outwards towards Draco. Her eyes were closed. The stillness of her posture let Snape know that her conscious mind was not actually in her body. He had no doubt in his mind that Hermione was currently taking a trip inside of Draco's mind.

I wonder when she learned Legilimency, he pondered.

Severus's eyes flickered over to where Narcissa was laying sleeping.

Should he wake her? Should he stop Granger from romping around inside the boys mind?

He's already going to die, what could she possibly do to make things worse?

He's in love with her, his mind said plainly, you know that he would want to say goodbye. If you had a chance to say goodbye to Lilly...

Snape's face hardened. He couldn't think of Lilly now. Everything was far too complicated. He didn't need a distraction, what he needed was to keep the Potter boy safe.

Safe long enough so that he can die when Dumbledore intended, his mind taunted.

Snape's chest grew tight and he sucked in a breath.

How could he just let Harry Potter die?

He's just like his father, you shouldn't care.

But Snape did care. He cared enough to do things that he never would have imagined doing for anyone else. He did those things for Lilly's memory. It didn't matter that she was gone, he still would do anything for her.

He had looked out for Potter, despite his infuriating attitude, for years because that was what Lilly would have wanted.

He is the same position you were...thought Snape. He loves her and she has chosen that useless Weasely boy. Snape sneered. Hermione might have no magical lineage, but she was still far too brilliant for a wizard like Ron, at least in Snape's mind.

And yet...here she was. Snape looked down at Hermione.

She's here because she cared enough to risk discovery in order to say goodbye.

Snape looked at the wand and looked at Granger.

She had a wand, she could have simple dissaparated. Draco was about to die anyways. The Bind would end with his death and Hermione would be free to return to her friends and the order without the risk of being tracked.

Is there a chance she might return his feelings? He wondered.

Narcissa isn't going to like it when she finds out.

Snape turned away from the frozen scene in front of him. 

Narcissa loved her son, she wanted what was best for him and that, in her mind, meant someone with the same pedigree.

I doesn't matter, Narcissa is never going to find out, said Snape back. Because Draco is going to die.

It hurt Snape to think about it. Draco Malfoy was one of his favorite pupils. True the boy was stubborn and cocky... he was also a brilliant wizard and a genius of potions. Draco had been through so much and given everything that had happened and the unrequited love...Snape felt an extra kinderence to the boy.

His love for the girl has made him stronger, he glanced back at the frozen tableaux.

Too bad it hasn't made him strong enough, Snape bit his thumb.

His love for her is probably why he has lasted so long when others died quickly from the curse...

Now you are just being foolish, he chastised himself and he scoffed turning back towards the window. It was Dumbledore who believed that it was Lilly's love that had saved Potter, not Snape.

If anyone's love was strong enough to save someone it would have been hers...

Snape closed his eyes and a single tear slipped out from beneath his eyelid. We wiped it away viciously. It had been years since he had cried about things he could not change.

I would give anything to have been able to save her...anything to have been able to say goodbye...

He looked down at Draco.

At least they both have that....

Somewhere down the hall there was a loud commotion.

-

Hope everyone has a lovely Monday and that you enjoyed  this chapter.