A Smile Across a Room

You all were wondering where Fred is...well here is our dashing foxy hero. And just as a heads up, its only been an hour-ish. It's still morning.

-

Luna returned with the salve in hand and a cheery look on her face. Her footsteps were soft and Fred found himself in awe that the little blond girl didn't trudge more given everything she had been through. After all, he knew she had been a captive at the manor as well, yet she seemed-at least outwardly-unaffected by the whole situation.

As Luna drew closer she caught the pensive nature of  his expression and cocked her head to the side.

"What is it?" she asked pleasantry. "You've got quite the look on your face."

"I think I know where the Diadem is," answered Fred.

"Well that's wonderful," said Luna and she sat down on the bench and gestured for Fred to join her. When he took his place beside her, she lifted his hand with delicate precision and began cleaning it.

Fred hissed slightly at the pain as the cloth snagged a piece of skin.

"Sorry," said Luna.

"Its okay, you're doing fine," he reassured her, and she really was. Her delicate touch was tender and each movement filled with compassion.

A quiet moment passed between them as Luna worked.

It wasn't awkward or hollow, in fact there was something peaceful in the silence between them. A peace which Fred didn't know he had been needing.

"She told you then?" Luna asked, a few moments later as she applied the salve with delicate fingertips.

"Yes," said Fred watching her work.

"You must have made quite an impression on her," said Luna lightly. "I think its because you have a good heart."

The compliment warmed him oddly.

"What makes you say that?" asked Fred.

"Its simple," said Luna. "I can see it in your eyes...or rather eye," she corrected pleasantly. Somehow her voice was kind without having any pity in it, which was a relief to Fred. He didn't want to turn into a pity case.

I can see why Neville has such a crush on her, he thought mildly.

"So where is it then?" she asked finishing up with his hand and setting it down lightly.

"I think..."said Fred "That its in the room of lost things."

"Oh, well we will have to get it tonight then," She stood. "We should get going now actually. People have already started waking up. We should get you to see your sister while its still safe."

"I can't wait till tonight," said Fred standing to follow her.

"And why is that?" asked Luna gently as she led him back through the castle quietly. Her calm demeanor would have freaked him out if not for the whisperings of the Felix telling him that everything was going to be alright.

"I only have twenty four hours of luck, if we wait past eight it will all be used up."

"Twenty four hours of luck?" Luna looked back at him. "Oh, I see...Usually I am not a fan of using Felix, too much like cheating, but given the circumstances I consider it rather fortuitous. Where did you get your hands on a vial of Felix Felicis? "

"Draco."

"See, you don't say his name like the rest of them," said Luna as they neared the common room.