6. Life-Altering Confirmation

26/3/21

"NAMJOON!" I hear Jin yell my name as he lets himself into my hotel room.

I left the door unlocked for him since I texted him to come over. I told him Kyungmin texted me saying she wanted to video chat with me because Sooyoung actually replied to Kyungmin's message. I wanted Jin there with me for mental support. I wanted Yoongi to join us, but he had a date with Melina and I know it's important to him, since we are leaving California in a couple days.

"Did Kyungmin say anything else other than Sooyoung replying to her?" Jin asks me as he grabs a chair and sits right next to me.

"Not really. She said she would rather discuss it  all on video chat. Are you ready, Hyung?" I move the laptop in between us.

Jin nods giving me the go ahead and I proceed to call Kyungmin. After a few seconds, Kyungmin picks up the call.

Kyungmin:
"Hi, Namjoon-oppa! Oh, hi, Jin-oppa! I didn't know you would be in on the call!"

Jin:
"Hi, Kyungmin! Thought I'd say hi! Plus, Namjoon wanted me to be in on the call"

Namjoon:
"Hi, Kyungmin! It 's about 2:30pm there, right?"

Kyungmin:
"Yes, it is. I know it's late there in California."

Namjoon:
"It's 10:30pm. It's not too late. Anyway, you said you had an update?"

Kyungmin:
"Yes, I do! Sooyoung responded to my simple message asking how she's doing and she said she was doing well and basically asked me how I've been doing and what I have been up to these days. I sent her a message shortly after I received hers, briefly filling her in on my life, then I asked her what she's up to and where she resides now."

Namjoon:
"And?"

Kyungmin:
"When we were messaging back and forth, she shared more than I expected. She mentioned how she ended up withdrawing from Stanford and moved to New York to live with her sister since she had to take a necessary break from school."

Namjoon:
"Necessary break?"

Kyungmin:
"Yes. At first, she only alluded to the fact that something major happened where she couldn't put her all into med school. But, a couple years after she withdrew from Stanford, she applied to the medical school at Columbia University. She has a couple more years of med school left and plans on doing her residency right after."

Namjoon:
"Well, that's good she still continued medical school and is doing exactly what she dreamt of. Did she explain why she didn't continue school at Stanford?"

Kyungmin:
"Um, yes. It's because a month after she moved to California, she found out she was pregnant. I was straightforward and asked her if she was with the father still and she said she wasn't."

Namjoon:
"Oh."

Kyungmin:
"Um...at that point, she had asked to call me so I told her she could and it was an emotional call, to be honest."

Namjoon:
"Would she even be okay with you telling me about the conversation you had with her?"

Kyungmin:
"At the end of our call, she made it a point to say that I could make you aware that she and I spoke and that if I wanted to inform you of anything we discussed on the phone, I'm free to do so. But, Namjoon-oppa, what I'm going to tell you is a lot."