39. Proud

03/06/34

I cannot believe my son is graduating high school!

I wasn't physically present for Moonsik's life the first five years of his life. But, once I learned about him, I made sure that I was at every significant moment in his life. If not physically, I made sure to call or FaceTime to show my support for him while I would be on tours or out of the country for other business pertaining BTS or other musical projects.

I'm grateful that, right now, I'm standing by my wife's side, my arm wrapped around her waist. My daughter, Sunhee, is holding my hand on the other side of me as we are standing in the stands awaiting for my son's name to be called out.

"Mason Kim!" The principal of his high school announces his name and we watch our son walk across the stage. Sooyoung, myself and both of my parents and Sooyoung's parents are cheering like crazy for him! I'm full of pride as I watch Moonsik March across the stage, graduating with honors.

We are beyond proud of all of Moonsik's accomplishments. He's graduating with high marks, all with his own motivation. Of course, as parents, we want them to do their best, but Moonsik was always driven on his own.

He participated in a lot of school clubs including debate club and was the president
of Music club. He was one of the top track stars in his school as well as a wrestler. He's scored scholarships and this coming fall, he will be attending Stanford University, where he plans to double major in Physics and Music Technology. His goal and dream, these days, is to go into audio engineering. He's grown a love and fascination for it and wants to go in that direction. And, I am one hundred percent behind anything he finds passion in.

"Ana Morales!" The principal announces and we erupt in more applause. Ana's step-dad, is right behind me in the stands screaming the most.

I remember when Ana and her step-dad had a rocky start when they first met but she eventually accepted him as family. Even Ana's biological dad and my hyung* have become good friends over the years.

And, well, who knew that Moonsik and Ana would end up  being together now.

I knew my son has always been fond of Ana, but he took his time and in their junior year, he confessed his love for Ana and it was mutual. Believe me when I say that Sooyoung and I are grateful he's found such an amazing girlfriend, and Ana's parents would say the same about how they are thankful Ana has someone like Moonsik in her life. We used to tease the kids when they were younger and how they would end up together.

And, to our surprise, we were right!

It's honestly a blessing they had each other, growing up. They went through similar struggles and knew how to be there for each other. For example, the two kids have gone through a lot of issues with friends who took advantage of their status. They never knew who to trust, besides each other and their mutual best friend, Henry.

And, it's even more amazing to see these three childhood friends head off to the same university to continue their education. Sooyoung is relieved that our son will have two people he trusts when facing new experiences in college.

"I'm going to miss Ana when she goes off for college," Sunhee says in a sad tone as Ana exits the stage after receiving her diploma.

"What about your brother?" I question my daughter.

"Eh, he won't be as missed," Sunhee says of her brother with a joking tone.

"It's okay to miss your brother," I say to her while giving her a sympathetic smile.

It's definitely going to be hard on Sunhee when Moonsik heads off to college. They've grown such a bond and she looks up to him so much.

I don't know how Sooyoung and I got lucky to have children who didn't fight much. Granted, it might be the vast age gap between them- they are ten years apart. They were always able to get along.

"I'll miss him a lot," Sunhee confesses and I can see her eyes water as she looks up at me. I kneel down and hug her, trying to comfort her.

She's not the only one who'll miss him. I know it's going to be tough for Sooyoung to let her son go off and be more independent, not needing her as much anymore. But, I told her that he's always going to be our son and it's just a new exciting chapter for all of us as a family.

I look back at Sunhee to see if she's still tearing up but she seems to be calm at the moment as she watches other students in Moonsik's graduating class receive their diplomas on stage.

I can't help but be proud of my daughter these days.

For three years, she's been taking contemporary dance lessons and this previous year, she has been in a hip hop dance class on top of continuing her contemporary dance lessons. She begged for us to sign her up for hip hop. And, she seems to be exceeding in dance.

I love seeing Sunhee so passionate about dancing. I can see so much of myself and Sooyoung in her. She's so driven to excel in everything she does and sometimes she puts a lot of stress in being perfect with every move. We try to encourage her but remind her that she doesn't need to be so hard on herself.

On top of school and hours of dance lessons, she also volunteers at an animal shelter!

To say we are proud of both our kids is an understatement.

And, speaking of being proud- that's how I also feel about my wife whose making major strides in her career these days as pediatrician. All her hard work over the years has paid of tremendously. She is awe-inspiring and I'm just so grateful and have the deepest pleasure to call her my other half. Honestly? She's my better half.

I'm lucky and forever thankful for having Sooyoung and our children in my life.

*********

A/N:

Last chapter! I hope you enjoyed this book that ended up being full of fluff! This is honestly the most soft book I've written so far. If you're looking for work that has more smut and angst, check out my other stories! But, if all you wanted was to feel good, then good thing you read this story! 🥰

Please look forward to the epilogue! I can't believe I'm wrapping up this story!

Note:

*I can't reveal the identity of Ana's step dad just yet! You'll find out which members it is when I eventually release that book in the series.

🎵Song to check out: "Moment 4 Life" by Nicki Minaj ft. Drake

Thank you so much for following along with this story!

-MissD