35. Official Statement

15/12/23

"Are you sure you're ready to share this with the world?" Jin asks me as he sits beside me in my studio.

I confidently nod at him. "I've already discussed this with Bang PD-nim and the rest of the managers. They even looked over my message and suggested some tweaks in wording, but ultimately, they said that what I'm sharing should be fine. I'm not giving precise details about Sooyoung and Moonsik. Though, I know that once I let this out to the public, people will try to uncover as much as they can. Whether this statement ends up being well-received or scrutinized- all I know is I want to open up about this part of my life in some way."

"Well, if you think you're ready, then there's only one thing for you to do, and it's to upload the message online, starting with Weverse," Jin tells me as he pats my shoulder.

"I'm nervous, but I want to do this," I think out loud.

"Understandable. This is new territory, and I think it's brave you're taking a step forward. And, because of this, it might influence the rest of us in the group to open up. And, if it ends up being a little rocky, with people not accepting the news well, then you know that you have my back and the rest of the guys, as well as the company. You know HYBE will make sure your family stays away from as much harm as possible." Jin looks at me with a caring expression.

"I needed those words, Hyung, so, thank you," I sincerely tell the eldest. "Here goes nothing."

I access Weverse on my phone and copy and paste my message I had pre-written. I look it over one more time, and I let it upload.

Now, the world will know about my little family I love with all my heart.

Jin's phone lights up. "There's the notification, Namjoon."

Jin pulls up my message on my phone even though he's read it before.

"Dear ARMY,

As most of you know, Hoseok and I will be entering our military service next month. As Korean citizens, it is our duty and we will serve proudly and to the best of our ability.

Next year, I will also be turning thirty. It is quite a milestone age and I am looking forward to it.

Most people my age dream to be at a point at which they start families.

In my profession, it has been frowned upon for us idols to be seen in relationships. I know that it is slowly being accepted. But, with our group, in particular, it has been difficult for us to feel safe about coming out to the public about our relationships. I am taking this time to open up to you, ARMY, who have stood by our side, and hope that this does not affect your support of me and the rest of my group.

Almost three years ago, I discovered I had a son who I did not know about. Some may automatically deem that as scandalous. But, sometimes, life ends up that way. One major reason why I didn't find out sooner was because due to strict communication set by the company to ensure the members' safety, the mother of my son was not easily able to contact me back then.

This woman, who is the mother to my son, was someone I fell in love during my trainee days. We decided to separate ways years ago when she had to move to a different country to pursue medical school at a prestigious school. We decided the separation was needed so that we could focus on our own goals.

But, around that time, she became pregnant with our son. And, with unfortunate timing, that is when BTS was on the rise and we were facing threats by stalkers and our company made sure to tighten security when it came to people easily finding and contacting us.

It wasn't until the year 2021, when I learned about my son, who was 5 years old at the time. To say I was shocked was an understatement. I wanted my son in my life and wish I didn't miss his first five years. I'm grateful that he's in my life now.

Not only that, his mother and I had never stopped caring for each other, and as of July of this year, she and I have made it official as husband and wife.

I know that I didn't follow the traditional ways of how a family comes to be, but my wife and son mean so much to me.

You might be surprised hearing all about them only now, but please understand that myself and the rest of my members have to keep our relationships private to ensure the safety of those close to us. Just like you would not want any harm done onto your family, we do not want that for our own partners and families.

I am the only one in BTS with a growing family. And, my members have every right to choose to keep their personal lives private, but I wanted to open up.

I am being transparent because I want you all to know exactly where I am in my life. I am happy with someone I am proud to have by my side, as my wife, as well as a son who supports and cheers me on. It overjoys me to have him look up to me.

I don't want to be secretive. I want to be open as much as I can.

If the identities of my wife and son are eventually revealed, I hope that you can accept them as part of the BTS family. It would mean the world to me. Please show them the respect that they deserve whether online or if they are ever in public, if their identitities are somehow uncovered eventually. It seems inevitable.

But, I don't want to reveal too much about my family, fully, from the world. I want to show my pride and joy. Though, I do not want to share specifics such as names or ever reveal the faces of my loved ones, without their consent, I want to freely speak about how they matter to me, without feeling guilty.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

I hope you are all well and stay healthy. Fighting!

Sincerely,
Kim Namjoon

*********

A/N:

I kind of struggled with this statement chapter because I didn't want to feel like it was missing anything.

🎵Song to check out: "Trivia: Love" by BTS (RM)

Thank you for reading! 🤗

-MissD