11. Sister's Input

09/04/21

It's 9pm. Sejin-nim, Kyungmin, my good friend/ bodyguard, Chulsan, and I are at the Incheon International Airport. Our flight to New York departs at 7pm. Kyungmin and I are currently sitting in the Korean Air first class lounge having some dinner. Sejin-nim had to excuse himself to make a phone call with one of the members while Chulsan was sitting not too far, taking a mini nap before we board the plane, since he claimed to have a minor headache.

Prior to the trip, I did tell my parents about Moonsik. As expected, they were initially shocked. Before they let me tell them details, they made outlandish assumptions of the possible mother such as foreign musicians I've worked with or TV personalities. They made some other assumptions such as a fan or a fellow Korean idol being the mother of my child. When they found out that Sooyoung is the mother and heard my whole long explanation of what had happened from the time she and I broke up to now, they understood the situation. I knew that they would be disappointed in the fact that they didn't get to be present in Moonsik's first five years of his life, just like myself. But, my mom told me that she's proud of me for wanting to be a part of my son's life and that she's glad that I want to be present in Sooyoung and Moonsik's lives.

My mom insisted on making sure I give her Sooyoung's address so she can send Sooyoung and Moonsik a large care package. Even my dad said to throw in some black licorice in the package, since Sooyoung and my dad both shared a weird love for that candy, while I can't stomach it at all! But, it was nice to hear my dad being supportive in that way and I am shocked he remembers facts about Soo like that. My parents really did adore her.

Also, before the trip, I had ordered some children's books that I wanted to gift to Moonsik. The books I chose were my childhood favorites and are written in Hangul. Sooyoung said that he knows how to speak Korean and is learning how to read and write Hangul. I hope to at least be able to read to him, at some point during my trip, like my parents did for me when I was his age.

"Namjoon-oppa, do you have your passport on you?" Kyungmin asks me, taking me out of my thoughts. We are sitting across from each other. I've been picking at my food while she's been devouring hers.

"Yes, I do," I curtly answer her.

"Are you sure... did you double check?!" Kyungmin further questions me with a raised brow.

"I did check, actually, Kyungmin! I've learned from my past mistakes! I swear, I lose my passport a couple of times, and no one will ever forget! I'll never live that down!" I say with mock frustration at her and she just laughs like a hyena, which elicits a chuckle from me.

"You never will!" She sticks her tongue out at me and grins, then continues with a question, "Anyway, are you excited?"

"Honestly? Yes. As much as I'm nervous, I'm more excited than anything. After speaking to Moonsik through a video call, I just really want to get to know him more," I say, as I fondly think back to my video conversation with my son.

"I'm excited, too! I can't believe I'm an aunt! I'm so ready to meet Moonsik and spoil him!" My sister says cheerfully and it really makes me content to hear.

"We'll both be spoiling him like crazy," I say to her, smiling at the thought of the possible plans I have to bond with Moonsik while I'm in New York.

"So you're excited about seeing Moonsik... what about Sooyoung?" Kyungmin asks me, while wiggling her eyebrows.

"Um, I look forward to seeing her, too," I say, trying to sound as nonchalant as I possibly can.

"Really, Namjoon?!" She looks at me with a raised eyebrow.

"What, Kyungmin?!" I ask back, glaring at her. In what direction is she trying to take this conversation?!