9. Moonsik

03/04/21

"So, after just talking to her, only several hours ago, you're really thinking about going to New York?" Jin asks me, while we are both sitting in the living room. I had just returned back from the company building and joined him on the couch, watching the show 'Vincenzo.'

"I am, Jin-hyung. If Sooyoung is okay with it. I'm just waiting for her to reply and see if we can talk on the phone again, but this time, with Moonsik," I say out loud, anxiously.

"I'm sure she'll understand that we very rarely get time off like this. Just, tell her this is a good time for you and you really do want to be present in Moonsik's life. And, take some deep breaths, man! You're good when it comes to talking to kids. I mean...he is your son who you just found out about, so I get why it's nerve-racking. But, you'll be fine! " Jin tells me, which is his attempt at trying to comfort me, noticing me looking slightly on edge.

"Um, thanks, I guess, Hyung?" I shake my head at him and chuckle. His words kind of calmed me down but I'm still a bundle of nerves.

It's about 8pm KST, making it 7am EST. That means it is Saturday morning in Manhattan, where Sooyoung is currently living.  I texted her and asked her if she would be free to call or FaceTime during her morning and if she'd be comfortable with Moonsik being in on the call. I also included, in the message, that I had an idea that I need to discuss with her, and I'm really hoping that she agrees to the plans I have.

In about a week, the men and I all have a two week vacation. I was originally going to visit my family and meet up with friends, but if Sooyoung is comfortable with the idea of me visiting her and Moonsik, I think I'll book a flight heading to the LaGuardia airport, instead. I haven't told my parents about Moonsik, but I plan to, after I am able to reach Sooyoung. I'm not so worried about telling them that I have a son. They'll definitely be shocked like I initially was. I imagine they might be disappointed that they didn't know about their grandson until five years later.

My parents adored Sooyoung, back when we were together. They loved her presence and thought that she was an ideal match for me. My dad would always tease me saying she's too good for me. I would tell him he's right because there was no one like her. She was perfection to me.

Does it seem too soon to plan on visiting Sooyoung and Moonsik? I don't think so. I've missed my son's first five years of his life. I need to make up for that lost time as soon as possible.

When I finally get a response from Sooyoung, she informs me that they are finishing up breakfast and she'll let me know when they are prepared to take the video call. She said she is comfortable having Moonsik speak to me through video chat, but reminded me that I will be introduced as someone close to their family. I responded and let her know that I'm fine with that introduction and for them to take their time and I'll call when they're ready.

As I wait, I start to grow more apprehensive. I was already anxious messaging her, but now that I know that I'm about to see my son through a screen, for the first time, I start thinking about how he'll respond to me. How will Sooyoung handle me talking to her son? I know she'll probably be very guarded and protective throughout this journey of me becoming a part of Moonsik's life.

I need to make sure that Sooyoung is aware of how much I really want to be involved. I know I have a lot to consider, with my career being a major issue, and it's not going to be smooth the entire time, but I won't be absent from this child's life, if I have anything to say about it.

About fifteen minutes pass and I receive a message from Sooyoung letting me know that I can call them now. I excuse myself from the living room, and Jin nods at me while giving me an encouraging smile. I head to my room which is luckily empty since Taehyung is still at the company building, working on some music with Yoongi.