𝙿𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚘𝚜𝚘𝚙𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚗𝚎- 𝚎𝚡𝚝𝚛𝚊

☞︎︎︎𝑆𝑢𝑚𝑚𝑒𝑟☜︎︎︎

Sunlight flowed through the open window, exploring every inch of the bright bedroom. Warmth seeped through Hestia's skin as she sat tiredly at her desk, eyes unfocused despite her fixation on the crumpled parchment. The girl was lost. Her white duvet rested messily on her bed, covered in open books and wasted parchment. A sigh escaped her lips once she noticed the pool of ink that had fallen from her unmoving quill.

Twenty three letters. Hestia had written twenty three letters to Harry over the holiday, six to celebrate his birthday, and yet she hadn't received one word in reply. It pained her. The thought that, just maybe, the boy didn't want her friendship. Maybe, she had gotten the wrong idea.

So there she sat at her bedroom desk, surrounded by lively plants but feeling so drained. No words flowed from her fingers, leaving nothing but a ruined piece of parchment before her.

On a happier note, her other friendships had stayed strong over the summer. The girl had even visited Ron at The Burrow one weekend, and she was welcomed like family.

Hestia's lips curled up into a smile as she remembered how his mother, who insisted that she call her Molly, had rushed over to her with open arms and a genuine smile. How young Ginny would talk endlessly about Hogwarts and express her excitement about receiving her letter. The Weasleys were already like a second family and she was overjoyed at the invitation to join them the week before school.

Hermione had also been in touch. Sending frequent letters and gushing over their favourite books, Hermione's being one of the books that Hestia had gifted her at Christmas.

Though, every letter she received was just another reminder of the ones that she didn't. The ones that she prayed would arrive in a stack one day with a good excuse for their absence.

With one last dejected sigh, the young girl brushed her dark hair out of her eyes and peeled herself away from the desk. As she made her way out of the room, she couldn't help but catch sight of her appearance. To anyone else, Hestia would look her usual ethereal self. Though, she noticed how her eyelids looked a tad heavier from the lack of sleep and the little marks on the bottom lip from where she had incessantly chewed on it when she was lost in thought. It wasn't too noticeable, but she noticed it.

Downstairs, Remus was wiping down the kitchen counters, humming absentmindedly to a classical muggle song that his friends used to listen to when they themselves were at Hogwarts. The man had just finished baking some white chocolate cookies, Hestia's favourite, in an attempt to cheer the girl up. Even he had noticed the slight change in the girls mood, despite her constant bubbly attitude. Remus knew it had something to do with Harry ignoring her. Though the girl hadn't told him herself, he remembered Hestia asking if she had received any letters from the boy and recognised her dampened mood ever since.

Just then, the girl in question bounced down the stairs with her usual bright smile and raised brows.

"What smells so good?"

He watched the girl sniff around the kitchen, her nose slightly scrunching up in the process.

"Just baking." He shrugged, placing the dirty cloth in the sink.

"What are you making?" The girl hopped onto the counter, her baggy jeans turning a shade darker on the damp surface. Hestia had found some older magazines earlier that summer, inspiring her more 70s style attire. With her white, flowy tops and large sleeves. Though, that hadn't gotten in the way of the girls love for olden style dresses.

"I decided to make some cookies." The man smiled, watching the way the girls face lit up.

"My favourite?" She whispered, her eyes wide and hopeful. Remus nodded, causing the girls smile to widen and his heart to warm.

"What's the special occasion?" The girls head tilted to the side slightly.

"There is none. I just wanted to treat you before you go to The Burrow next week."

Hestia smiled softly, not knowing what to say next. It seemed to be a common theme lately, being unable to form sentences. Luckily, the sound of the oven timer interrupted the situation. The oven door opened, allowing the heat from inside the oven to escape, dissipating throughout the kitchen. The smell of freshly baked cookies infiltrated the girls nostrils, her stomach rumbling greedily.

After washing her hands and allowing the treats to cool, the pair sat opposite at the table with the plate of cookies in between. "Thank you."

"No need to thank me."

There was a pause, neither really knowing what to say. You would think that the first time leaving for Hogwarts would be the hardest, though the second time was worse. Somehow, recognising the loneliness and knowing the pain makes it hurt so much more.

"I'll miss you. Alot."

Hestia said, swallowing her mouthful of cookie.

Remus' head shot up, not expecting the words that slid out of her mouth. He paused for a second, eyebrows furrowed and lips parted.

"I'll miss you too."

The words were so comforting that they burned Hestia like poison.

"But you won't be gone too long. Besides, you'll be with your friends. You're not alone."

Hestia froze.

"Not all of my friends."

ℎ𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑜!

I am back! Hooray!

I'm sorry that I took so long, but I think that I'm back to normal now.

I know the chapter is short but there will be an update either tomorrow or the day after.

Anyways, take care of yourself. Drink some water, Eat.

All my love <3