Cʜᴀᴍʙᴇʀ Oғ Sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛs- Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8

☞︎︎︎ℎ𝑜𝑤𝑙𝑒𝑟☜︎︎︎

Hestia's eyes wandered around the unfamiliar room. Long panes of dust covered glass surrounded the girl, the morning sun only just peering in. Situated on every wall were rows of various green plants and overgrown ivy. Clearly the plants were thriving in the open air, however Hestia felt rather cramped.

The greenhouse wasn't particularly small, yet its rather dim atmosphere and dusty surfaces left Hestia claustrophobic. Not to mention the group of overly excited second years crowded next to her.

"Morning, everyone."

Hestia looked towards the small lady who had entered the room.

"Good morning Professor Sprout!" Everyone shouted in unison.

Professor Sprout wasn't a teacher that Hestia was well acquainted with, however she had noted seeing her around the castle from time to time the year prior. She was a small, plump lady who always carried a gentle smile with her. Her wild, curly hair lay tucked underneath a brown pointed hat, her tan skin mostly covered by her soily clothes.

"Welcome to Greenhouse 3, second years. Gather round, everyone."

Everyone did as instructed, shuffling closer to the table where Professor Sprout stood.

"Today, we are going to repot mandrake. Who here can tell me the properties of the mandrake root?"

She may look small, Hestia thought, but she can be very loud.

To no one's surprise, Hermione's hand shot up into the air. The girl was like a living dictionary, all knowledge at her disposal.

"Yes, Miss Granger."

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been petrified back to their original state." The girl announced proudly from beside Hestia.

"It's also quite dangerous.." Hermione added, eyebrows furrowed in thought. "The man drakes cry is fatal to anyone that hears it."

"Excellent! Ten points to Gryffindor." The woman seemed to be very pleased with the answer, as if Hermione had pointed out something vital.

"Now as our mandrake are only seedlings, they won't kill you just yet. But they could knock you out for several hours which is why I've provided you all with earmuffs."

Hestia looked to the headpieces scattered along the table, suddenly realising the reason for the woman's loud volume.

"So could you please put them on right away."

Everyone complied without question, securing the earmuffs over their ears. The world around Hestia was immediately muffled, her own thoughts dancing through the quiet atmosphere.

"You grasp your mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply up-"

The woman's voice was cut off, un- heard over the piercing cries of the mandrakes. It wasn't a particularly beautiful creature, with its earth brown, wrinkled skin hanging loosely from its large body. Hestia visibly grimaced at the sight.

Is this what babies are like? Loud, chubby and grubby.

The girls thoughts slipped away from her as the Professor announced the rest of the instructions, continuing with the headache inducing demonstration.